Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
My dad runs a maintenance business where he's out and about all day. He uses a GPS logger that he attaches to the dash magnetically and it records things like where the vehicle has gone, how long its stopped for (at stop lights, different properties he manages, etc). He then takes this logger plugs it into the USB on his laptop and downloads all the info giving him drive time, stop time, etc day by day. He can use Google maps to view the routes if he wants but other then that its an itemized list of where he's gone for IRS millage purposes.

My question is there any app either through the app store or Cydia that you can run, acquire the GPS signal, hit start, drive around, end of day download into the computer and either use google maps/earth (or have it export as a text or HTML file) listing where he's gone, how far he's traveled, how many "stops" he's made etc?

I've tried MotionX's GPS software and it comes close I like the gpx/kmz export for Google earth, I've used Instamapper GPS and its got the right idea but doesnt seem like I can export any of the segments or list travel times.

Also does anyone know if you could tether the iphone 3G to a laptop via USB lets say and use Google earth on it to gather the GPS coordinates live.. basically use it as an expensive GPS receiver for a laptop?

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
I take that as a no on the logging?

I've downloaded several free apps and trailguru looks like the most promising with the ability to view a report about time spent and miles driven but still doesn't come close to the self contained gps logger in terms of distance, stops made, how long at each stop and total time and miles driven. I've looked at some of the finance apps on milage tracking but most Ive seen require you to enter an odometer reading before and after and enter in details about the trip.

Not very convenient coming off a device that logs for you automatically.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
I'd love to see something like this even though I really don't travel much and certainly don't have a need for it like your dad does. However, I don't see it as very likely given the restraints in the iPhone SDK. The fact that I can't keep Trailguru open in the background makes it all but useless to me for little things like bike rides even. As soon as someone calls me or I want to switch a song outside of my current playlist, Trailguru (or any app) is gone and I have to restart it.

So, using an app all day to track me would most likely die and piss you off very soon into the day.

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
I'd love to see something like this even though I really don't travel much and certainly don't have a need for it like your dad does. However, I don't see it as very likely given the restraints in the iPhone SDK. The fact that I can't keep Trailguru open in the background makes it all but useless to me for little things like bike rides even. As soon as someone calls me or I want to switch a song outside of my current playlist, Trailguru (or any app) is gone and I have to restart it.

So, using an app all day to track me would most likely die and piss you off very soon into the day.

Doesn't bother me since I can background apps (Pwned iPhone) I really am curious as to if anyone would ever make a logging app like that. I'm sure in time I could do it but I dont have the patience nor knowlege of the API's to write one from scratch.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
I'm jailbroken too but never found Backgrounder that good at what it advertises to do. I got sick of backgrounding Trailguru on a bike ride only to find out at the end of the ride it reset it self to zero at some point.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Yea there are a lot of things for this.

Appstore has iMapMyRide and such for running in foreground. You can load the path right up with average speeds and all.

Jailbroken, you can get iLocate or any of the iPhone lojack applications. They ping a server on an interval you set and send it GPS locations. Great if you lose your phone. They require a montly/yearly cost if you want the full versions

Then, probably your best bet, is xGPS (Cydia). It's a turn-by-turn gps program and in the next version (March 7?) it's supposed to have a better implementation of their logging solution. So then when you run it it will track your path for uploading with a computer later. Google it and check out their blog for more info. I'm not sure how well it would work backgrounded though.

I don't know about the live laptop gps idea though. Personally, with xGPS I don't see a reason to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.