Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nethus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2010
New Zealand
Hey guys,

My brother bought an iPhone 3G in Australia and no longer needs it so he gifted it to me. The problem however is when plugged into iTunes it appears to be locked to an Australian provider. In New Zealand, phones do not get locked.

I was wondering how do I get this fixed/to work for me? Even usage as an iPod Touch (i.e. without the phone function) would be a lot better than nothing.

Cheers

Edit: I've tried jailbreaking, but after trying countless times and various methods I can't seem to get the phone into DFU mode for the jailbreak to start

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Hey guys,

My brother bought an iPhone 3G in Australia and no longer needs it so he gifted it to me. The problem however is when plugged into iTunes it appears to be locked to an Australian provider. In New Zealand, phones do not get locked.

I was wondering how do I get this fixed/to work for me? Even usage as an iPod Touch (i.e. without the phone function) would be a lot better than nothing.

Cheers

Edit: I've tried jailbreaking, but after trying countless times and various methods I can't seem to get the phone into DFU mode for the jailbreak to start

Would you elaborate more on what do you mean "Itunes it appears to be locked to an Australian provider". What message did Itunes give to you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.