iPhone 3G hangs when restoring to iOS4 (even with non jailbroken firmware!) HELP!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by NiroshanMan, Jun 23, 2010.

1. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

Hey everyone.

I'm having major problems here. I've tried nearly everything but no luck.
    I started out with an iPhone Jailbroken with the Pwnage Tool for 3.1.2. I then created a custom firmware for iOS4 and when i put it in DFU mode and restored it it appeared to be fine but it hangs near the 98% both on my mac and on the progress bar on the iPhone. I left it for an hour or so and no luck. I removed the iPhone and put it in DFU mode again and tried several times and no luck then i gave up on the jailbroken firmware and tried to install just the normal iOS4 and now that won't even install it always hangs. I tried installing on my Mac and a two PCs and no luck. I was able to go back to 3.1.2 once, but only after several tries. I really want to go to iOS4 because of all the new functionalities. If I go back to 3.1.2 it will have been a waste of 8 hours of my life trying to upgrade. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

3. tnisatard macrumors 6502

I NEED HELP TOO!

I've done everything you did so far

I tried installing iOS4 jailbroken and then stock

then 3.1.3 stock

but it keeps getting stuck at the load screen

4. geoffoliver macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. I can get the restore to go to about 95% when I use jailbroken firmware, but stock firmware only gets to about 60%. I've even tried using the 3.1.2 firmware and it does the same 60% hang thing. I am phoneless :confused:

5. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

I finally got it to install iOS4 miraculously.... I don't understand how, but get it in DFU mode and let it try to install over night and it may work. I think it was out of luck, but its worth a try. Don't give up! Its not possible to brick your iPhone so try everything!

6. geoffoliver macrumors newbie

7. geoffoliver macrumors newbie

I let it run all night. Still nothing. I believe my phone is screwed.

8. geoffoliver macrumors newbie

I finally got it to install iOS4 stock from Apple. I had to completely uninstall and reinstall iTunes (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1747) but I finally have my phone back... Now the question is whether to run redsn0w or be happy that I have a working phone.

9. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't even give it a second thought. I went right ahead with redsn0w and it worked flawlessly. Now im enjoying 5x better battery life than before + multitasking + battery percentage + wallpapers. But its your call!

10. geoffoliver macrumors newbie

I totally did and it worked perfectly. Wallpaper, backgrounds, multitasking... All very nice :) So happy to have my phone back.