iPhone 3G Hard Case That Doesn't Scratch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macman756, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a case for my iPhone 3G that won't scratch. On all my iPods I've had a skin, but I really don't want that on my phone. I think the plastic scratches easier than the aluminum iPhone EDGE. So what brand or model hard case doesn't scratch? Thank

2. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

3. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Any idea what this means techincally?

"*Please note this item is not intended to be used with Screen Protectors or Clear Armor."

So if I have a screen protector then I can't use this case?

4. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Yep, you have to take the screen protector off when using that kind of case.

5. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Yea, I think I posted that question a bit too fast.

It appears that this case has it's own screen protector and I guess two screen protectors would probably cause your finger touches to not register.

I might consider this case. I have been through three that I don't like and can't seem to find one I do like.

6. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

7. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

8. swy05 macrumors 6502

I have the Case Mate clear case.

I'm not really too fond of them. Yes, they include a plastic cover that protects the screen but, the plastic cover is not really a thick plastic. More of a thin plastic that has a rubbery feel. So in case of a drop, I doubt it'll do much.

The case is rather bulky and after about a weeks worth, you'll find massive amounts of lint trapped in the case. So every week or so, you'll find yourself taking the case apart and clearing out the junk inside.

But, the worst part of the case is that IT WILL SCRATCH THE BACK OF YOUR PHONE. The back of the plastic case has a small groove that unfortunately slightly digs into the back of your phone when taking the case off. After numerous times of taking off the case to clean it, it will leave a small but rather noticeable cut in the back of the phone.

To remedy the situation, I've put a small folded up paper in the exact spot where the case cuts in the phone.

I'm really looking for another clear hard case that covers the entire phone, including the front and remains lint free. Not just some dinky film that slips over the face of the phone. Until then, this bootleg method will have to do.

9. dwcliff macrumors newbie

dwcliff

I've used the Switcheasy Capsule Rebel case on my 3g iphone and I love it. They offer 3 or 4 great cases that provide very nice protection. You can see the selection they offer for the device at www.switcheasy.com.

10. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

Otterbox defender, not a true hard case but a hard case with a silicone sleeve over it, insanely protective and worth every penny

11. baronbuzby macrumors regular

baronbuzby

12. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

The Incase slider scratched my phone and scuffed up the chrome.

13. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Okay, I know this thread is in the wrong forum and if the mods want to move it, well, they should.

But I thought I would post this here.

I am one who is now no his 4th case for the iPhone 3G because I can't find one I like.

So a few days ago, I bought the Case Mate clear case.

I have to say, there are positives and negatives:

Positives:

1) Access to all ports.

2) Adequate protection for the phone including the screen and buttons.

Negatives:

1) A nightmare to get the case off at first. (I have only taken it off twice due to not cleaning the phone good enough before putting it in. I am sure, once it is taken off a bunch of times, it will get easier.)

2) This case is a nightmare if you are one that carries your phone in your pocket. As someone said above, lint and dust will get under the screen protector and then you have to take the case off.

3) When gripping the phone, it sounds a little "rickety" if you will.

So, if you think you like this case or are considering getting it:

1) Only get it if you carry your iPhone on a hip case on your belt or attached to your purse. I find that since I do this, I get a LOT less lint and dust on my phone (and under the built in screen protector) than when it is in your pocket.

2) I know what the web site says, but I ignored it, and installed this case with another screen protection film on the phone. I have experienced no negative effects of having the 2nd screen protector under the phone and have in fact, seen a positive of it.

Much like when you put one of those window cling things on your car's back window, you can get kind of air bubbles under the case's screen protector if you put the case on with nothing else. I think this is because the screen protector of the case hovers a millimeter or less over the screen and doesn't actually cling to the screen. (I saw one on a phone at the AT T store and this almost caused me to not buy the case.)

But with my anti-glare screen protector already on the phone, it seems to help this not to happen. I am guessing that is because the gap between the case's screen protector and the phone screen is taken up by the existing screen protector.

And the touch screen still works flawlessly.

So there is my review of the Case Mate Naked Case for the 3G.

Hope someone find this helpful...

14. M0bile macrumors regular

From personal experience, stay far far away from the Griffin Elan Form. I am very pleased with the Incase Slider. It has little rubber tracks keeping it from the surface of the case (no scratches), fits very well, feels good, comes in a few colors, and provides overall great protection.

15. AlmostJosh macrumors 6502

AlmostJosh

anyone feel like posting pics of THEIR iphone 3g black in the case mate clear case?

16. uglydimple12 macrumors newbie

I need a case for my iphone as well

and since you brought this up, i just checked it out and I think i like this one a lot, especially the rebel serpent.. but i got one question here- im wondering if this one covers(protects) the screen? or it is being protected by 2 of those anti glare screen guards that comes with the kit?

I am not sure if the screen is protected enough by the guards? I always have liked the idea of the actual case covering the screen like case mate?

would appreciate it if you could fill me in on this one thanks!

17. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

really?
    i felt like the aluminum scratched WAY too easily

but this looks promising
    http://www.speckproducts.com/products/candyshell/iphone-3g/162
    great looks, and rubber inside to cushion the phone

18. Barbs macrumors 6502

19. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Well, after my long review of the Case Mate case, I ended up taking it back and going with the Incase Slider.

Reason?

Exactly what someone else posted.

The Case Mate, on the surface, sounds cool. It completely covers the phone.

Well, here is the problem:

1) The screen protection is not much harder or more protective than the screen films you can buy.

2) The Lint factor. Stuff gets under that screen protector through the holes for the ear speaker, connector and home button. Then, your only choice is to take the phone out to clean it. VERY annoying.

So I took it back and got the Incase Slider instead. I am happy with it so far, though on mine, the gap between the two pieces is noticeable in my hand.

20. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You'd be surprised at how scratch resistant the plastic really is on the iPhone 3G. I have hardly any scratches on it and I don't use a case. I just worry about CRACKS!

21. moka macrumors 6502a

its not the case that scratches the phone, its what gets in the case that scratches the iphone, every case is vonrable to this as they have certain openings for camera, power, volume, etc buttons, access points.