iPhone 3G has no signal

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ma3574, Jun 13, 2010.

1. ma3574 macrumors newbie

Bought an iPhone 3G a few days ago and it doesn't get a signal. I'm in the UK and the carrier is O2. There was no sim in the iPhone so I got a new O2 sim. I've placed it in the iPhone and I get a message saying it's trying to activate the sim but it fails as there are no bars on the signal. I've tried the other suggested items in the forums such as: restoring the iPhone to factory settings, Trying various sims. I didn't notice at the time of purchase but the chrome side is not fully connected with the rest of the iPhone. I'm aware that the iPhone uses the bezel as an antennae and if mine isn't connected correctly then this may have an affect on signal strength. If there are any solutions could you please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

2. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

Make sure the phone isn't blocked first. Also, make sure that the circuit board isn't broken where it connects to the aerial. This is common where people have fiddled with it previously. Yes bezel does form the aerial ground plane as far as I can ascertain.

3. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

Hey... my iphone doesn't have a signal either most of the time. I thought we had concluded this was a "feature"?

4. ma3574 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol :p

How would I check if it has been blocked?

I think I can follow the instructions on ifixit.com to disassemble it but where exactly is the antennae as I can't seem to find it in the pictures so I can check the circuit board (How would I do that also?)

Thanks guys for your help.