iPhone 3G haters still there 1 year later?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by E.Lizardo, Jun 7, 2009.

1. E.Lizardo macrumors 65816

Just curious-Before 3G came out some on these forums were horrified at the prospect of a plastic-back slightly thicker iPhone.Some swore they would NEVER NEVER NEVER buy one and keep their metal-and-plastic backed original.
    Do ya'll still feel the same way?enjoying the fabulous edge network?Still not interested in double or quadruple memory,faster processor,video,etc,etc?

Had to ask.

2. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

i bought a 3G on day 1, but a year later, I still wish it was aluminum backed
    aluminum looks nicer and doesn't crack like these do
    headed to the apple store today for my 3rd replacement (broken home button on first, 2 tiny cracks on the second)
    the plastic back has 3 HUGE cracks (one being almost an inch long) coming from the dock connector (i can actually bend the plastic near them) and 1 small crack by the ring/silent switch
    and dust under the screen (the dust doesn't bother me, but since it's there, its just another reason I can say I need a replacement)

the plastic is nice but they need to make it better quality plastic if theyre gonna stick with it

3. Mengels7 macrumors regular

iPhone 3G guts in iPhone shell would be an epic win. The plastic back is fine, but the aluminum back was so much nicer. Had that "Apple" look and feel to it. If the new back turns out to be a matte metal back, I won't complain.

4. Vster macrumors 6502

I also had the 2.5G iPhone on day one, and when the 3G came out I "upgraded". Most of the time I have 3G off so I really don't notice the difference except for the extra storage. But I've also had to replace mine multiple times due the the small cracks that were described but either way both versions are still really nice.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I skipped the 3G not because of the back, but because I felt it wasn't a significant enough of an upgrade to spend the money.

6. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

I got the original iPhone and didn't upgrade. I do like the materials of the case for the first generation more, but the shape of the 3G fits better in your hand. I'll be upgrading this year, and I'll be happy if the back is matte plastic. I don't like the shiny 3G back.

7. bjquach macrumors 6502

8. ojwk macrumors regular

ojwk

I got the first iPhone on UK launch day and was going to upgrade to the 3G the following June/July. Having got hold of one though I really wasn't impressed with the plastic back and apparently 'faux' metal surround.

Recently on a long distance cycle trip along the Cote d'Azur we stopped for a break and I used my iPhone. Having been in a pannier next to a frozen bottle of water it was extremely cold and almost refreshing to use! In contrast my friend's 3G was hot, sticky and plasticky.

The quality of the materials in the original iPhone just seem far superior in comparison - it doesn't get nearly as dirty as some 3Gs I have seen and had the displeasure of using.

GPS, 3G and the flush headphone jack are all excellent advancements on the original, and I came incredibly close to buying one myself as I was suitably impressed. Given that I interact with the iPhone once every few hours the device's tactile feel was a compromise I was not willing, and still am not willing, to make.

I was immensely glad that Apple seems to have returned to using 'premium' materials with this next incarnation and I will happily stand in the queue in Regents Street to get my hands on one on launch day.

9. Saikou macrumors 6502

Saikou

Exactly. I spent $600 on mine on day one, I wanted to make sure it lasted at least a few years. Also, the V1 feels much sturdier and has a better weight to it than the 3G does, IMO.

10. bjquach macrumors 6502

Man, I still have the urge to purchase an original on eBay or craigslist these days.

11. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

I still have my first gen because of this. The 3G just feels cheap. My friends with their 3G's can mock me all I want, but I can tell them that my device doesn't feel like a toy, it feels like a premium device. Edge isn't so bad, and I'm wifi a lot too. I will, however, be upgrading to the newest phone.

12. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

yeah, it blows my mind how many idiots are much more concerned with the looks then the actual capabilities..
    rediculous

13. ojwk macrumors regular

ojwk

For a long time Windows PC's had a lot more 'actual capabilities' than their Mac counterparts.

That didn't stop me choosing Mac.

14. gibbz macrumors 68030

Which is worse than ridiculous :)

All kidding aside. One of Apple's greatest strengths is that users are given options in which form and factor are not exclusive.

15. Stiss macrumors 6502a

me too, your not alone

16. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

Yea, it's completely 'rediculous.' I can live with Edge speeds, they're not the friggin bubonic plague. How much has GPS come in handy? Quicker "Locate Me" responses? I have a 16GB 1G iPhone. It still serves me well and looks/feels better doing it. Why should I upgrade?

17. puercaeli macrumors regular

Yes still here..

Yup waited the whole year hoping the design will get better.

Painful year it was!

18. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I stuck with my 2G. A 3G signal wasn't worth losing the nice back over.

We'll have to see what tomorrow brings.

Phazer

19. bigchief macrumors 6502a

I do too. There is no 3g coverage in my area and I'm thinking whats the point in buying the new iPhone. My brother still has the original iPhone and he loves it. He pays $20 a month for edege data and I will be paying $30 a month for edge data with the new iPhone. That sucks