iPhone 3G: Heat issue while using GPS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DaPhatty, Jul 20, 2008.

1. DaPhatty macrumors member

So I took a two hour drive to Monterey, CA today and I noticed that my iPhone got particularly hot while I was using the GPS. At first I thought my protective case was preventing the heat from dissipating but the iPhone remained hot even after I took off the case. Has anyone else noticed their iPhone getting hot while using the GPS?

2. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha DaPhatty,

I've noticed the same thing myself. I have used the GPS in an attempt to verify the "jumping" complaint I've seen here. Even on EDGE, the dot doesn't "jump" around on the map, unless I'm zoomed way in. With 3G, it never "jumps" around.

That being said, every time I've used GPS my iPhone has gotten pretty hot. I'm only talking an hour each way to and from work, on average, but I think it really shouldn't get that hot. Like you, I've tried this with my case (Incase) on and off, but with the same result - excessive heat. Of course, I also use a Belkin car kit (the one with Clear Scan) to both play my iPhone's audio through my vehicle's sound system as well as charge my iPhone. I've also received the same results while not on a charger, both in, and out of, the case. I also noticed that the battery was drained much more rapidly when the GPS was active than otherwise.

HawaiiMacAddict

3. DaPhatty thread starter macrumors member

I, too, am using a Belkin FM Modulator, although it is an earlier model without the clear scan. Your test results are identical to mine interestingly enough. I sure hope this doesn't indicate a problem with the iPhone 3G. I intend on using the GPS quite a bit and if doing so burns out my phone... Yea, I won't be too happy about that. Good thing I purchased the Apple Care protection plan.

Anyone else experience this?

4. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

are you the same DaPhatty from CAG?

5. DaPhatty thread starter macrumors member

That would be me. :D

6. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

haha small world

7. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

My iPhone 3G gets slightly warm but I don't see why that wouldn't be normal. All phones get slightly warm after extended/strenuous use.

8. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Same here

9. DaPhatty thread starter macrumors member

Warm is to be expected, like when you charge the battery of any celphone. . That is why I said hot. ;)

10. DaPhatty thread starter macrumors member

Next day (PDT) bump. Anyone else in this boat with me?

11. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Those guys at the "genius" bar gave me an "idiot" response on the heat issue. "oh, just set it aside for few minutes, the heat is expected."

I wasn't in the right mood to argue, so I just let it go. I'll go back in again and see if I can argue my way into a replacement phone.

12. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Ok, who's got a laser thermometer to test with? I'd like to know what normal, charging, and HOT are exactly.

13. DaPhatty thread starter macrumors member

You do raise a good point. "Hot" is a subjective description. IMHO, if the heat being generated by the iPhone actually forces me to focus on the temperature and wonder if the iPhone should be that "hot" then the iPhone most likely should not be that hot.

14. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Yes, but we really have nothing to go by. Nobody even knows if it's normal or not. That was the only reason I was wondering what the temps were.

15. jconway macrumors newbie

I was experiencing sort of the same thing. I don't use GPS but I did have location services turned on and I noticed after a bit of web surfing and music playing (at the same time). I read that turning off location services helps save battey life. I noticed that my iPhone is a bit cooler now too.

16. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

If the phone is primarily using GPS it won't matter what data connection you are on. It jumps when it loses it's GPS connection and has to fall back on 3G or Edge for location information. That jumping is the phone switching between towers or hopping between location data from GPS and location data from the data connection (3G/Edge). If you are simply holding the phone in your car chances are it will occasionally lose it's GPS connection. If you have it mounted in a dash mount, then it shouldn't lose it's GPS connection as long as it has a good view of the sky with no Buildings interfering.

As for heat...the more chips you use in the phone the more heat will be built up. If you are using it in the sun, where it gets a view of the sky...then it will heat up due to the solar radiation.

I have a laser temperature gun (made by Fluke).
    As for normal temperatures:
    Room Temp around 75F
    My Iphone 3G sitting in the dock: front and back: about 80F

I'll do some more temperature measurements later. I have to go out to pick up some dog food so I'll try to use GPS during that.

Personally, though, I've never thought my iPhone has reached the "HOT" level...at most I would call it warm.

17. Warped1 macrumors member

Same here. Mine gets warmer with GPS use. I was using it today only briefly in the car because I had my case on. Its not hot enough to concern me other than heat = battery issues down the road. Hopefully it does heat enough to damage the battery and I will try to not charge while GPS is in use.

18. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Ok I took my little trip. About 15 minutes both ways. Both ways I had mp3's playing while letting google maps track my location via gps and 3G/edge. On the way over I ran on battery. On the way back I charged it on my griffin travel charger. After the first leg I felt it and it felt warm towards the top of the iPhone. I measured the temps:
    Back was hottest at the top at 102F.
    On the front it was hottest in about the same spot at 99F.

After getting back home I noticed it felt the warmest near the bottom. I again measured temps and it was the same temps, only this time it was pretty uniform across the phone.

I held onto the phone the whole time, and it was only uncomfortable on the way back. I would say it was very warm/slightly hot. It was a tolerable warmth/hottness. If I were not doing the test I would put it down.

Outside temp was 87F.
    Inside temp on console near where I was holding the phone was 71F.