iPhone 3G Hong Kong Launch - Absolute Joke!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kyen1, Jul 11, 2008.

1. kyen1 macrumors member

So the iPhone 3G has "arrived" in Hong Kong.

The launch has been a joke to say the least. Here's the deal.

3HK is the official carrier that has signed with Apple to bring iPhone 3G to Hong Kong on 11 July 2008.

In order to get your hands on iPhone 3G, you have to fill out a "registration form" on the 3HK website and they randomly select 500 winners to collect an iPhone 3G today at some launch day event. The rest of us have to wait until 3HK contacts us when more stock is available (in other words, after all of 3HK's employees, their friends and family get their iPhones).

What is interesting is they say "randomly select" but in the same breath state that current 3HK subscribers get priority.

500 units on launch day for a market like Hong Kong is short sighted stupidity. With only 500 units, you will no way penetrate any other carriers users if you are giving your own subscribers priority. It has been reported that other carriers will be offering the iPhone 3G within a month. Therefore getting more units later doesn't help 3HK. 3HK reportedly received 70,000 registrants not including duplicates. Hardly surprising in a city of 6.5 million cell phone crazy people with bucket loads of disposable income.

For something this popular, a first come first serve system should have been adopted...yes, like everywhere else in the world. And frankly, a lot more units should have been available. When the various rate plans around the world were announced, 3HK in Hong Kong was noted for having one of the cheapest plans. Too bad they had to screw it up with such a poorly planned launch.

2. 645ci macrumors member

Thats a joke, but when you get there do you have to sign up to a contract?

Or is there a pre pay option

3. kyen1 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone who wants an iPhone 3G will have to sign a 2 year contract, though the rates are quite reasonable.

4. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

A joke indeed!

I thought the online pre-registration was for the 500 pre-selected "lucky" customers to own the phone and was entitled to a special iPhone case gift and an invite to the launch event. I also read somewhere the first batch totaled 10,000 iPhones at launch, which means 9,500 iPhones for the rest to purchase.

So I was at a 3 Shop in Central this morning at 8:30am. I was like "cool" no one in line. 20 mins later the store manager came out and greeted me if I'm here for an iPhone. Then he told me the bad news...you cannot walk-in to purchase the iPhone. You have to be contacted by them if you've registered online. Priority goes to existing 3 customers but obviously staff and friends will get their hands on them first. So now it's just a waiting game. I guess 2G iPhone for the next while. I hope the unlock for 2.0 comes out this weekend so I have something to tie me over.

@645ci - Yes, you need to sign a 2 yr contract when you get there. Your monthly bill has be autopay via credit card and you need proof of residential address in the last 3 months before you can sign the contract. You cannot buy a stand alone iPhone. I guess this is to prevent black market sales. My 2G iPhone is going to worth so much more!!! :D

5. kyen1 thread starter macrumors member

Well, that's what I thought to. I went down to the store in Wanchai and was also turned away. The guy just said put your name down on the website and we'll contact you. Err...ya sure. I've put my name down but I'm not holding my breath.

I'll wait til SmarTone gets it. It's just a matter of time really. I'm gonna try and figure out how to update my phone to 2.0 without bricking it. I've already downloaded a bunch of the free apps :D

6. Shad0w59 macrumors member

Sounds like this "launch" is just a token gesture to say that Apple was out on day one in HK.

7. Tragedies macrumors 6502

Yeah, I have to agree. Seems like a joke, with so little units in such a largely populated market.

8. javadh macrumors member