Iphone 3g. I have done a mess. Think i won't be able to use it ever again! ;-(

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by seraba90, Dec 25, 2010.

1. seraba90 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I am desperate! Spent whole day trying to sort out my iphone and I just I've made things worse I think.
    So yeah I have a 3G Iphone, bought in America, jailbroken with Blackrain and using O2.
    Ok I have to say yesterday I dropped the phone and it suddenly switched off but when I came home and connected to Itunes it worked.
    Today all of a sudden it froze, so I switched it off but...... I never managed to make it work again after. :-(
    Firstly there was just the apply logo on the screen...then there was even this wheel under the apple, not moving or anything...
    So I decided to restored the iphone... weird thing is that even though I had a backup Itunes didn't even ask me if I wanted to restore it in that way?!
    So yeah I did the restore and of course the latest firmware was upgraded..
    Then the main display appeared and I can still see the symbol of Itunes and the one with a USB.... and of course it doesn't recognise my simcard.

So yeah I am seriously worried that there is nothing more I can do now.
    Is there a way to jailbreak this new firmware?!?!!?!?!

I would be grateful if you could help me.... this is being a nightmare!!!

Thank you very much.

Serena

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You want to jailbreak it and unlock it right?

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You seriously screwed up when you updated your firmware. You should have pressed <option>+restore when you were in itunes (windows uses a different key).
    If you need to jb and unlock, you're going to have to use the ipad firmware. If you go through the posts, you'll find information on how to do that. Either that or go to the devteam's web site.
    FYI: you can never take your phone into the apple store, because they'll know you jb and unlocked it (due to the ipad bb).

4. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Just wait until the next possible unlock (Jan 16th possibly) because if you do this iPad Baseband trick you voiding your warranty completely

5. bwrairen macrumors 6502

It is a 3G. I am sure it is long out of warranty anyway.

6. seraba90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Thanks for your answers.

Yes Applejuiced, exactly!!! What can I do?!

eastercat, I know I ****ed it up but really I didn't know, and I was so confused also cos I didn't get a chance to select how I wanted to restore?!?! I mean I can see I have a backup if I go in 'preferences' but I had no choice to restore the backup??!?!!? This is so weird... cos I kept reading about people saying that at a certain point you were able to restore in a way that you would have get like a NEW iphone or with the settings from the last back up..

AAaargh I am hopeless ;-( gonna try those things you said eastercat...

So what's the latest firmware then?! 4.0.2 right?

7. seraba90 thread starter macrumors newbie

No problems about warranty or anything cos I have got no clue about that.
    It was bought in America by my aunt and she sent it by post to me, I don't have a receipt or anything... and anyway as someone already said, I wouldn't take it to the apple store cos they would understand it was jailbroken..

8. seraba90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Btw, would the Ipad trick work?!?!?!

9. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Most likely but thats actually going to the extremes....i wouldn't mess with it

10. seraba90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I see... so this is currently the only possible way to jailbreak a 3G Phone who has been upgraded with the latest firmware?!

But then again... I can see I have a backup of my iphone but how the heck could I restore it?!?!? How is it possible?!!? I literally have no clue where to go, what to press... I don't know I am lost, I feel like I show just chuck this iphone in the bin considering all this....

11. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Well you upgraded so now their's nothing you can do but wait...Be Patient if not Send me the iPhone 3G i could make use of it

12. seraba90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh what you mean? You buy 'half broken' lol iphones?! Yeah heard people saying that I could even just put in on ebay and make some money out of it?!

I really don't know at this point...

13. seraba90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Another question... would it be completely impossible to downgrade the iphone with the earlier version?!
    Sorry you must have heard this millions of times but I have no clue,
    Thanks x

14. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Since you are oversea and you need to unlock the phone in order for you to use it with SIM in your country. With your phone update to IOS 4.2.1 bb 05.15, there is currently no unlock for this baseband. If you want to unlock it, then you need to update the bb to 06.15 by using Redsn0w, and then use Ultrasn0w 1.2 to unlock it. Otherwise, you can use it as Ipod touch at where you are now.

There are reports that once the iphone 3g/3gs update to bb 06.15, there is issue with GPS. So, please make sure you read/research this before you decide to update bb on your phone.

Good luck!

15. seraba90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your answer.
    The problem is that I couldn't even use it as an Iphone touch!!!! because when the phone finally switches on, what I can see on the display is the itunes logo and usb!!! and if I slide it I can only make phone calls.
    I can't see the screen with the apps or anything!?!? What the hell is going on then?!!? :-(

16. seraba90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Right... I did the trick with the Ipad firmware and it did work.. so yeah now I can see the apps and stuff...
    So next step is downloading Ultrasnow right? But thing is now I don't have a wifi arrrgh so I will have to wait till tomorrow...

17. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Glad that it works for you. There is way for you to unlock the phone without wifi as well which where you use Cyder 2 to install Ultrasn0w package directly into your iphone. Just google search "How to unlock Iphone without wifi" and you will find your solution.

18. seraba90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh that's so useful!!!
    Cos basically today I went to a wi fi spot and try to download ultrasn0w from Cydia but I couldn't!!! It just wouldn't find me that programme?!?!? So so weird ;-( So I had already lost all of my hopes but now I am gonna try Cyder 2!!!
    Thank you!!!

Anyway I am experiencing some weird problems with the Iphone.... it's like blinking, flashing at times.. when I flick from one display to another... sometimes it gets stuck... take it it's cos of that Ipad firmware!?!?

19. seraba90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok.... think I completely destroyed my phone with the Ipad thingie... not working at all..keeps rebooting itself...
    and no way to go back from what I understood....

Are they creating a way to downgrade or will it never be possible?! what you guys think?!

20. NathanA macrumors 6502a

There is currently no way to downgrade baseband firmware. Since it is a 3G phone, in theory you should be able to downgrade the iOS software to a pre-4.0 version, but that won't undo the iPad baseband firmware upgrade. The baseband (which is the cellular modem) software is *completely separate* from the main OS. Two different things.

It sounds like your problems with stability happened after you dropped the phone. I suspect you may have a hardware problem on your hands caused by the drop, not a problem with the phone caused by the iPad baseband.

Also, you kept talking about having a "backup" and not being given an opportunity to select to use your "backup" and that's how you accidentally updated the software. You are seriously confusing two completely different things. The "backups" in iTunes are just the backups of your personal data, NOT of all the software. The backup does not include a copy of the same version of operating system you were running before; it is not a bit-for-bit "image" of your device. And if you click the "Restore" button, it wipes the phone, then installs the LATEST SOFTWARE, and THEN gives you the opportunity to "restore your backup," which means that it will load your personal preferences, application settings, and data back on the phone. Has nothing whatsoever to do with the OS.

I can understand how you might have concluded that the "restore" button lets you restore a backup, since the same terminology is used in a backup/restore context. But what the Restore button really does is do the equivalent (in the PC world) of a "format and reinstall," except that Apple doesn't present you with the option of selecting WHICH version to reinstall. It always assumes you want to upgrade to the latest one.

-- Nathan

21. seraba90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your kind explanation. That's really something I needed cos ok, let's face it, I am well ignorant in the field and really need someone who can explain me in details.

So I mean.. considering the situation I am now.... what would you suggest doing then?!
    I have got the latest IoS and Ipad baseband on my Iphone ... I'm stuck.
    Itunes won't make me restore or anything.. as an error pops up..

What's the next move I can make then?! You said I could downgrade the firmware but will that help?! I mean the problem is the Ipad baseband right... I literally can't restart my phone now.. I don't get to see the main diplay or anything.. just stop on the apple.

And yeah I can't even understand if I should blame the fact that it dropped... when I dropped it, the spinning wheel appeared and the phone switched off.. then once plugged it was working again and it did work the day after.. till I got ' no service ' for like an hour and I recided to switch it off and on.... THEN THE NIGHTMARE STARTED! ;-(

Thanks everyone, I'm hopeless!!

22. iLoyal macrumors regular

Totally understand your situation. Im also new to this Mac hacks and I know NOTHING about this iphone, but Im a IT myself so i have some knowledge about OS/IOS. Im not trying to add oil to fire, but you should not have done the ipad bb unlock BEFORE you gather your information. No matter what is it, you should check see if you have saved your shsh of the previous version for future backup/restore.

Now since you upgrade the BB to ipad already; you cant go back to the previous BB. If you dont understand something, just ask; never rush it. Personally I have a iPhone4 4.1 and I have been dying for unlock, but I never took a chance to mess with it. Before you take action, thinking about the cause and effect. Just think about it when you want to make a move and every possible things that can happen due to the move that you are going to do.

May wish you the best luck with your phone.

ps: when is the unlock for 4.1 coming out?? :[[

23. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

My hat goes off to whomever still has an iPhone 3G under warranty....

24. NathanA macrumors 6502a

What does the error say? At what point does it pop up? Does iTunes even recognize the phone? Did you try putting the phone into either recovery or DFU mode, or are you just hitting the "Restore" button while the Apple logo is showing on the screen?

...probably not...

See, I don't think that has anything to do with the baseband firmware. The main OS should still be able to boot up even if the baseband was completely fried...you just wouldn't be able to do anything related to the phone network.

So that tells me that either your problem is that something got gacked up in the main OS somewhere (did you install anything recently through Cydia just before the problem happened, or make any other significant configuration changes?), OR that there is something wrong/broken INSIDE the phone that became damaged when you dropped it. If part of the main board flexed/bent or cracked, but the traces are still making contact sometimes, then it is very possible that the symptoms of the damage could appear intermittently. (I've encountered broken phones, laptops, and other electronic gear that would only work if you "flexed" the outer shell in a certain way, for example.)

So first thing to try would be to see if we can't figure out why you can't get iTunes to restore the phone again (so please post details of the error you are getting, and what you have tried to get past it), and if we can get past that issue, do another fresh restore of whatever version of iOS you currently have on there. If we can't perform a restore, odds are the phone is simply toast, and at this point you'd probably be best off selling it as a broken/parts phone on eBay and then sourcing a new, working phone from someplace.

-- Nathan