Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2003
Sydney, Australia
WHICH CARRIER? OPTUS or VODAPHONE?

The iPhone is coming July 11 to Australia, only two carriers.

At the time of posting this thread plans by either carrier have not been announced?

What will be the difference, which would be the better carrier?

Any thoughts? Predictions?

(Obviously after plans are announced your opinion is sought around the plans offered)

Thanks in advance for your wisdoms, opinions and insights.

onlycopunk

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Newtown
chances are both companies will have the same priced plans because if one were cheaper it would be the obvious choice. I'm just going to wait and see though and of course it also depends if one is currently under contract with either

weev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Optus have released their plan pricing which is harder to understand than programming a 1993 video recorder!

optusiphone

One has to guesstimate how you'll use this wonderful new gadget.

With download options ranging from 100MB to 1GB its hard to know what is fair, when you are completely new to smart phones.

How much do you need?

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
or Telstra??

Everybody keeps on going on about the evil Telstra but I honestly am thinking of going with them, much as it pains me to say.

I haven't seen their full plans but I like the first tit bit they threw to us. AND they have the fastest network in the world, great coverage and literally 1000's of wireless hotspots which will be free to use. They are every where eg every Macdonalds, Starbuks most city centres-everywhere.

The optus announcement has done nothing but irritate me. Just how can you make a judgement on those plans? Yes Plans, Turbo Caps, Pre Paid, Post paid, its mind blowing. Iv'e had a look and I am none the wiser as its so complicated.

I just hope vodafone sees sense and doesn't try and confuse us all and gives us simple easy to understand plans.

weev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2003
Sydney, Australia
or Telstra??

Everybody keeps on going on about the evil Telstra but I honestly am thinking of going with them, much as it pains me to say.

The one evil about Telstra imho is their general lack of Mac Support.

Try and watch a sports video on the Big Pond site, you can't (min requirements IE6. they even say Mac and Unix not supported). They seem to still have the attitude that mac is marginal and not worth bothering about.

The other general complaint is poor ISP support for Mac. So many people could not get a decent connection through them though this might be better now.

Telstra as an iPhone carrier?, perhaps a different proposition, or perhaps it could be strike 3!

adamerr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008
optus => pre-paid.
no long term contract, i can unlock and sell whenever i want to. :D

edit: dont revive old threads from like a billion years ago....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.