iPhone 3G in Israel

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mac17, Aug 29, 2008.

1. mac17 macrumors regular

Help... Im going to Israel on monday for 4 months and I would like to use my iphone I called At&t about it and the plans are ridiculous, not to mention I use way more data then the highest plan. So I want to unlock it, is there any way to unlock an iphone 3g on 2.0.2 and if so does it really void my warranty..? I mean can they really tell that it was unlocked if I restore it when I return?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The 3G cannot be unlocked with software. There are come hardware options, but cost some serious coin.

TEG

3. mac17 thread starter macrumors regular

I see the 2.0 software unlocked but for the original iPhone only... whats the difference between the 3G and the first one that allows it to be unlocked? :confused:

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Don't know. The 3G is a very different critter, electrically, so it may be hardware. You could always buy an unlocked iPhone in Italy or likely find one sold in a shop in Israel.

TEG

5. mac17 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but I think ill wait until they have a method for unlocking it.. as I purchased one already, cant be too long until someone figures it out. For now ill have to use this junky nokia I got, and my iPhone as my iPod.:( By any chance is it possible to use the GPS at least? or do I need internet to download google maps..?

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If you pop out the SIM, and use WiFi you should be safe. The GPS will work, but it won't load the maps without a network connection.

TEG

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I hate to say it, but the cheapest and most simple solution might be to just buy a disposable phone in Israel with a calling card. You can take your iphone as well for the PDA functions while you're there. An inelegant solution though.

8. mac17 thread starter macrumors regular

yeh that was plan B im going to just do that in the end...thanks for all the replies.