iPhone 3G in NJ/NYC Thoughts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reubrom, Jul 11, 2008.

1. reubrom macrumors newbie

Hi all,

For all those in Northern NJ and NYC, I'd like to know your latest impressions of the service reliability and speed of the new iPhone 3G. I know it just came out, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Have you had any connection problems to 3G?
    Are you getting dropped calls?
    Are you getting call connection problems?

I'd appreciate honest, non-biased feedback. I already have a great opinion of the iphone, you don't need to 'sell' it to me. :D

2. Sebap3 macrumors newbie

I live in NYC and am using my new 3G iphone since around 8:10am (first call I made) and it's clear and are no issues. I have 3G network all around me, but when I go up to high floors(25+) in buildings the 3G network looses signal and phone switches to edge. Also at my house I have 3 to 4 bars with 3G on and all 5 bars when 3G is off and edge is on, but calls on 3g on even one signal bar are clear (EDGE was breaking up with 2 or 3 bars sometimes.) Overall I'm very satisfied and clear call with no breaking up at more places now thank with the older iPhone.

3. reubrom thread starter macrumors newbie

sounds good. i wonder why 3G loses out at higher elevation.

also, is your house in manhattan?

4. GotMac? macrumors member

GotMac?

Hit AT&T store only to be thwarted by low quantities. They were a joke about letting us know, was around there until 10 am...only to be screwed. Drove over to Tice's Corner, Woodcliff Lake, long line but plenty of stock apparently. Stayed in line from 11 to 2 only to get a call that I had to pick up my daughter. Left line with 30 people in front of me.... :(

I will be trying for a phone next week I guess.

5. Sebap3 macrumors newbie

No, I live in Brooklyn, but work in Manhattan. I don't know why but all phones lose signals at higher elevations. Happened to me when I had HTC Touch for Sprint and then with my old iPhone and company's Verizon phones. But at least with the new iPhone even if I have low signal bars my calls don't get dropped and are clear.

6. AdamJames macrumors newbie

Can anyone else weigh in on 3G reception in Manhattan. More specifically, I'm really interested in call reception in lower Manhattan.

I live in Tribeca, and my current iPhone drops calls incessantly.

Does 3G improve phone reception and quality in lower Manhattan?

7. reubrom thread starter macrumors newbie

your iphone only drops in Tribeca? or does it drop pretty frequently in other places as well? that is pretty strange, since youre in manhattan.

8. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I live near Union Square. I didn't have too many problems with calling/EDGE data there. Call up AT&T and see if there is a dead spot around your area? Manhattan is probably one of the best covered places in the US.

9. reubrom thread starter macrumors newbie

for all those that have replied - thanks.

how has it been when you've travelled outside of manhattan, into NJ?

10. AdamJames macrumors newbie

New York Magazine had a little blurb about AT&T having the worst service in lower Manhattan which I can certainly attest to.

Also, the Mossberg review where he dropped a call five times while driving on the West Side Highway doesn't seem reassuring.

Anyone with a 3G phone wanna add some much need input and comparison?

Anyone know a link specific to AT&T 3G service?

11. reubrom thread starter macrumors newbie

Anybody have something to add? Would greatly appreciate it. :)

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Reception in Manhattan is spotty. When it's good, it's decent. When it's bad, it's very bad. The bright side is it seems you only have to walk around a bit to regain a signal. No rhyme or reason either. I live on the east side in the teens. I get a full signal sometimes, but not others, in the very same spot. I have almost a non existant 3G signal in my 3rd fl apt...but a full Edge signal. Hmm.

I have gotten 1 speed test at 1.5mbps at 11pm. Otherwise I get around 200-400kbps. This is up however from sub 100kbps readings last week.

Voice wise the sound is excellent when the signal is strong. 1 or 2 dropped calls; no different than the first iPhone. Then again, I am not much of a chatter box.

There are dead zones throughout the city. I blame it on a weakish signal mixed with these tall buildings that seem to be everywhere. Can't really speak for uptown. Signal gets sketchy in midtown during rush hour as expected.

13. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The connection in NJ is usually really good. I've seen 3G improving throughout the area, which is great. I went on a 45 minute trip the other day and I was really surprised and impressed. I had a full five bars for most of the trip, and the connection never dropped down to EDGE. My connection is almost always around 600kbp/s-900kbp/s and 1.4kbp/s sometimes. I'm getting full coverage in ares miles away from places that ATT show that gets 3G.

14. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

I get very good connection here in Middlesex County, not as bad as I thought.

15. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

umm. what thread are you replying to?