iPhone 3g included USB cable coming apart

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dizzy13, Oct 26, 2008.

?

Does your included iPhone 3g USB cable look like it's coming apart? (see picture)

1. Yeah, WTF!

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Nope

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. dizzy13 macrumors 6502

Well me and another friend both have the same issue with the USB cable that was included with iPhone 3g (see attached image).

Apple said they would not return it b/c it looks like user damage...but the fact that none of my other 3 or 4 USB iCables have this issue and 2 different iPhone 3g cables have the same exact issue I would disagree with apple on this.

Has anyone else experienced this issue on the iPhone 3g cable?

Attached Files:

2. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I have not had this issue but I think it's BS that Apple will not give you a replacement. I might press the issue with them as this is not your fault and you deserve a functioning cable.

3. dizzy13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm thinking of going back there with my friend and showing them both cables with the same problem and see what they say then. I mean I do move the cable around and stuff, but never had a problem with any my other cables so just seems strange to me that this would happen now.

Luckily for now it still works, but who knows for how long

4. Chef-Jer macrumors member

I had this happen with the cords for both my 3g's - Went to the apple store and they replaced them both.

5. MissingToof macrumors newbie

Take it to your local Apple store..

I had the same problem, and they replaced it, no questions asked.

6. sahnert macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I have the same problem but don't live close enough to an apple store to have them look at it.

7. halofan0005 macrumors newbie

halofan0005

i have this issue as well with my cable for my 3g iphone...and now that i think about it i havent ever had this issue with another..the cable is literally ripping apart..i dont get it

8. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

mine as well. they went cheap on the cable too.

9. dizzy13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, wonder if we will see a recall on this in the future as we did with the plug part that came with the 3g. I think I'll go back to the apple store and bring this forum up on the browser and maybe that will help convince them to replace it for me.

10. JoeDRC macrumors 6502

as far as i know the iphone cables are no different to the ones shipped with ipods.

could just be a bad batch? Mine is fine and I got my iphone on the release date

11. Jeremy W macrumors regular

My friend's cable is coming apart on the other end, the end that attaches to the iPhone. Mine hasn't come apart, but it's just been connected to the dock since like day 3, so it hasn't been subject to any kind of stress.

12. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

ditto..

when it breaks fully (and it will) then il go into apple store and ask for a new one, if that fails then il just buy one anyway.

13. Vegan TJ macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

14. daisuke07 macrumors regular

What is with these Apple iPhone products?

First people's iPhones had to get them replaced like 10 times, the plug where you can get electrocuted, and now this.

15. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

yeah mine was busted like 3 weeks after owning it ... hmmm

i just used some white electrical tape and it solved the problem though ( can't really tell anything has been changed either)

16. reliantj macrumors 6502

another step apple decided not to cover, just to cover some of their spending.