Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c073186

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Has anyone else experienced really strong interference from the iPhone 3G with surrounding speakers? I cannot have my iPhone anywhere near my computer speakers or even my clock radio or else the speakers make a loud buzzing noise. This even happened to me in my car! With the radio off. There is nothing I can do to stop it. At work, just having my phone in my bag, five feet away, makes my coworker's radio buzz. This is insane... I've never heard of something like this from a cell phone. Is there anything that can be done?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
This is a common problem with GSM. An easy fix is to get some of those small magnetic loops, like those on some USB cables, from a store like radio shack and run the connecting wire of the speaker through the look. That will reduce the power spikes and should quiet the noise.

TEG

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
This is typical of GSM phones. When you're on the EDGE network it will generate the interference on unshielded speakers, I don't believe 3G signals will generate the same interference.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
This is typical of GSM phones. When you're on the EDGE network it will generate the interference on unshielded speakers, I don't believe 3G signals will generate the same interference.

The iPhone 3G is FAR worse than most GSM phones for this, even the 1st gen wasn't as bad.

Yet another shoddy thing to add to the iPhone 3G's already endless list of problems.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The iPhone 3G is FAR worse than most GSM phones for this, even the 1st gen wasn't as bad.

Yet another shoddy thing to add to the iPhone 3G's already endless list of problems.

This is NOT an iPhone problem. This is a crappy speaker problem. Good speakers have these loops installed, and therefore don't make this noise. Never has this happened with my SoundSticks, but happens all the time in my car.

TEG

c073186

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
This is a common problem with GSM. An easy fix is to get some of those small magnetic loops, like those on some USB cables, from a store like radio shack and run the connecting wire of the speaker through the look. That will reduce the power spikes and should quiet the noise.

TEG

Sorry, but I am not sure of the magnetic loops you speak of. Do you know what they are called?

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.