iPhone 3G internet help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lukefinch, Aug 29, 2009.

1. lukefinch macrumors 6502

lukefinch

I am getting an iPhone 3G on o2 PAYG within the next couple of weeks and need some help regarding the internet on it.

Since it it will be on PAYG and not a contract, i will not have unlimited internet usage so i am scared that syncing mobile me emails/calendars and using any other apps that use the edge/3G network will end up costing me a small fortune.

My question is, can you turn off syncing and internet usage over edge/3G on an iphone so i dont use it? For anything internet, i will be using wifi only but i will still need edge/3G on to send and receive texts and make calls right?

If anyone understands me, can you please, please help me?

Thanks

2. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

AFAIK, you can only turn off the syncing services. For instance under the MobileMe options you can tell it what not to sync -- Email, Contacts, Calendar, Bookmarks.

You would have to go in and turn them on and off each time you want to sync them (when you have wifi).

3. lukefinch thread starter macrumors 6502

lukefinch

I also have a question for anyone who has bought a PAYG iphone in the UK on o2. It says underneath the iphone that...

Does this mean i will get free internet for 12 months on edge/3G and not just wi-fi because if i do get the free internet on it, it will solve my problem. I am just not sure about the technical mumbo jumbo - i am only 15.

Thanks

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

It looks like it's free for 12 months, yes, provided that you are on your home network. If you are roaming, you might run into problems.

5. lukefinch thread starter macrumors 6502

lukefinch

im not quite sure what you mean by "home network" and "roaming"? Can you please explain?

6. lukefinch thread starter macrumors 6502

lukefinch

7. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Home network as in not in an area thats not covered by your carrier. So say you go to italy and bring your phone, you would be roaming on another network and your network for you phone would charge the **** out of you for doing so. You should be fine, be lucky you have that in the UK, here in the US your tied to AT&T and there **** service and the bloody $100 USD a month.

8. lukefinch thread starter macrumors 6502

lukefinch

Thankyou

Ok, I get it now.

Thank you for all of your help.