iPhone 3G - iOS 3.1.3 or 4.2?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Stema, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Stema, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011

Stema macrumors newbie

Dear MacRumors.com & User!

First of all, I know that this subject was / is discussed a lot. Some forums say completely "YES, update!" others say "NO, stay on 3.1.3". I'm sorry of asking this question again, but I now want to know what's really the case / true.

Should I update my iPhone 3G from 3.1.3 to 4.2. Will 4.2. increase the performance / speed of my iPhone 3G or should I stay on 3.1.3 because it make the maximum of performance possible?

P.S.: iPhone 3G (no jailbreak), The functions "Folder" does not interest me. I want to make the maximum of performance of my iPhone 3G possible. With 3.1.3 or 4.2?

Yours faithfully,

Marc

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Going to 4.2 will make your iPhone 3G lag. I'd stick with 3.1.3.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

3.1.3. The only reason to go to 4.2.1 on a 3G is if you have a must have app that requires 4.x to run.

4.2.1 is painfully slow on a 3G unless you jailbreak and remove certain services, spotlight and some other speed ups (I did this for my wife). If you really want to know how slow it is, check out numerous YouTube videos.

4. Stema thread starter macrumors newbie

@ miles01110 & QuarterSwede: Thanks for your fast answers. More statements please. :eek: