Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geyforjobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Hi

I have an iphone 3G with iOS4.1 BB6.15 that's stuck in recovery mode (won't turn on or show the itunes logo) but my computer will beep to register a USB device has been plugged in and itunes detects the "ipod" and says it needs to be recovered. The problem with this is I get error 21 and I believe this is due to BB 6.15 being non re-storable without custom firmware?

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit and don't really have access to a Mac, I was wondering if I can use a custom firmware cooked by someone else or if I could use Snowbreeze to cook the firmware? I'm also pretty confused with what to do with the firmware, I've heard that you use tiny umbrella to kick the iphone out of recovery mode, but tiny umbrella doesn't see my iphone at the moment so I assume this is after restoring? But doesn't that mean I'm going to get error 21?

I'm pretty confused here and I'm getting a few conflicting messages of what to do in my situation. Just to add I'm not 100% sure I have the shsh blobs for the iphone, when I grab the shsh files from tiny umbrella they're for two iphones that are supposedly not plugged in (may be my other iphone and one I sold) both are 3G iphones, does it matter if I use shsh blobs from another phone? Do I need the shsh blobs for my situation?

Hope this isn't too confusing, would greatly appreciate the help.

geyforjobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Could really use some help here, don't know where to start.

* Ignore my horribly spelt title

dissizitt

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2010
DL redsnow b5, put it in DFU mode.

Open itunes shift restore to custom ipsw that has baseband 6.15. (google it)

I would recommend 4.2.1, its runs more smooth compared to 4.1 on iPhone 3g

noiceT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Catalina Wine Mixer
How did you get to where you are now? I'm assuming the phone didn't all of a sudden get the way it is just by normal use.

It almost sounds like you are in DFU mode already (judging from the blank screen, but recognized in itunes).

Regardless though, you need to restore to a custom firmware. You can find them around the web, just be aware of who you're getting it from, and if they are a trustworthy source.

geyforjobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Hi

I tried what was suggested here but I keep getting error 21, I believe the phone went into dfu mode one day randomly, possibly because someone attempted to restore it but I'm not 100%.

Edit
: Ok for some unknown reason after attempting to restore and getting error 21 I opened up Redsn0w and attempted to dfu it (even though I guess it's already stuck in dfu), the dfu failed because the phone was on a white screen (normally the steps to dfu would appear for about 1 second and then it would recognise that it was already dfu'd), so I held the power button down and the screen went black and then I held the power button again and the phone decides to boot up, normal itunes logo, goes to the slide to unlock screen and asks for the Passcode.

Very random iPhone, hopefully it won't cause any more trouble and I can downgrade it to 5.13 in the future.

Thanks for the help :)

Last edited:

noiceT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Catalina Wine Mixer
Glad to hear your problem was semi solved ^^

I wouldn't count on the bb downgrade to 5.13 too much, 3G is no longer supported in iOS 4.3, and aside from the no GPS issue, 6.15 means pwned for life.

nwarshauer

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
i am having a similar problem that i cant fix. i have already tried searching the forum and found nothing that worked.
here is my exact problem and how i got there

my dad bought an iphone4 recently and sent me his 3g to use (i live in israel he is in the states) i get the phone and know i need to unlock it but my dad already updated the phone to ios 4.2.1 i jailbroke and successfully updated the baseband to 6.15.00 and was trying to unlock it using cydia but it wouldnt recognize the URL for utlrasn0w. while trying to figure this out i discovered that i have no wifi access on the iphone 3g. wifi works fine on my MBP. i do a reset and have been stuck in recovery mode since. i have tried the instructions on that video and nothing. the sim card thats in the phone is att but i will be using it with pelephone here i also tried my cellcom sim card before i did the reset to see if that would make a difference but nothing. any suggestions at all on what to do to fix this?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
If you have the 06.15 baseband then you cannot restore to official firmware any more.
You can only restore to custom JB ipsw's.
So you have to put your phone in pwned DFU mode thru redsnow or pwnage and then open up itunes and restore to the custom fimware.

nwarshauer

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
If you have the 06.15 baseband then you cannot restore to official firmware any more.
You can only restore to custom JB ipsw's.
So you have to put your phone in pwned DFU mode thru redsnow or pwnage and then open up itunes and restore to the custom fimware.

tried that and nothing. maybe the custom firmware i downloaded isnt good. where can i find this firmware file online?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
...apart from 3.1.3, but then you need to kick it out of recovery mode with something like TinyUmbrella.

3.1.3 and TU will do the trick also.
It won't work with 4.2.1 though.

tried that and nothing. maybe the custom firmware i downloaded isnt good. where can i find this firmware file online?

It works for everyone. Maybe you didn't do something right.
You can search on google for custom 4.2.1 ipsw or torrent sites etc

nwarshauer

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
3.1.3 and TU will do the trick also.
It won't work with 4.2.1 though.

It works for everyone. Maybe you didn't do something right.
You can search on google for custom 4.2.1 ipsw or torrent sites etc

i downloaded pwnage tool and using the original 4.2.1 ipsw and the ipad one for the baseband update i made a custom ipsw. it wont load. tinyumbrella still wont recover it from recovery mode however the first time i tried loading the ipsw made in pwnagetool it sorta worked and now instead of the recovery screen i have a recovery screen that lets me make emergency calls but when i plug the iphone into my comp it still thinks its in recovery mode. i put the iphone into dfu mode and still nothing more than a recovery screen with slide for emergency calls. please let me know if this sounds like im doing something right or not. do i need to let it wait for a long time looking like it wont turn or something after trying to exit recovery mode in tinyumbrella?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
i downloaded pwnage tool and using the original 4.2.1 ipsw and the ipad one for the baseband update i made a custom ipsw. it wont load. tinyumbrella still wont recover it from recovery mode however the first time i tried loading the ipsw made in pwnagetool it sorta worked and now instead of the recovery screen i have a recovery screen that lets me make emergency calls but when i plug the iphone into my comp it still thinks its in recovery mode. i put the iphone into dfu mode and still nothing more than a recovery screen with slide for emergency calls. please let me know if this sounds like im doing something right or not. do i need to let it wait for a long time looking like it wont turn or something after trying to exit recovery mode in tinyumbrella?

Did you put the phone in "Pwned DFU mode" thru pwnage or redsnow before you try restoring to the custom ipsw thru itunes?
You cant just straight restore to the custom ipsw thru itunes. You need that extra step below or it will not work.
Just follow this with all the steps correct below:
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=13931

nwarshauer

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
got it to work finally. i think it might have been i wasnt using the current version of itunes. that was the only thing i did differently. now i just have to figure out how to get the wifi working so i can use cydia.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
got it to work finally. i think it might have been i wasnt using the current version of itunes. that was the only thing i did differently. now i just have to figure out how to get the wifi working so i can use cydia.

Nice, congrats bro.
If your wifi chip on your iphone is dead/not responding there isnt much you can about it software wise.

nelly41

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2009
Los Angeles
Hey guys,

I have a 3G that has the same problem here. Its stuck on DFU I think and there's no way for me to kick out of it. It has the 4.2.1 with 06.15.00 baseband. I tried all the methods mentioned here and searching around. Nothing has worked for me. ireb, redsn0w dfu pwned, TU. Everytime I put it into the DFU mode with one of these methods, I try to do the custom restore with a custom 4.2.1 firmware but I always end up with error 21 and blank white screen. Please help. Its been this way for a month now. Also when I connect it to my PC, itunes always detects it in recovery mode (i know its really dfu). Anything would be appreciated. thanks.

nelly41

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2009
Los Angeles
Ok, I was able to re-jailbreak with redsn0w but after everything is done, it gets stuck on the bright white screen and thats it. when i power it off and then back on, its back on the dfu mode. Anybody have any ideas how to fix this?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Hey guys,

I have a 3G that has the same problem here. Its stuck on DFU I think and there's no way for me to kick out of it. It has the 4.2.1 with 06.15.00 baseband. I tried all the methods mentioned here and searching around. Nothing has worked for me. ireb, redsn0w dfu pwned, TU. Everytime I put it into the DFU mode with one of these methods, I try to do the custom restore with a custom 4.2.1 firmware but I always end up with error 21 and blank white screen. Please help. Its been this way for a month now. Also when I connect it to my PC, itunes always detects it in recovery mode (i know its really dfu). Anything would be appreciated. thanks.

Sorry bro but it sounds like a hardware problem if its stuck on the white screen and error 21 is hardware fault.
Not much you can do with it software wise. It probably needs repair from an iphone repair shop or Apple.

nelly41

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2009
Los Angeles
Sorry bro but it sounds like a hardware problem if its stuck on the white screen and error 21 is hardware fault.
Not much you can do with it software wise. It probably needs repair from an iphone repair shop or Apple.

Bah!!! Thanks man. I shouldn't have jailbroken it. I updated it to stock 4.2.1 but then decided to JB and unlock afterwards to 6.15.00 baseband.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.