iphone 3G + iOS5

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by justbflat, Jan 17, 2012.

1. justbflat macrumors newbie

Hi
    I have a iPhone 3G (8GB)....in a moment of insanity, I tried to upgrade it to iOS5 using itunes (ver 9 I think).

The upgrade happened... now however the phone is somewhat 'reset'..it boots up .. but is 'carrier locked' again and won't function anymore beyond the emergency call screen.

I read online that for my iphone's baseband, there's no proper unlock procedure or even any way to downgrade back to iOs 3 or whatever it had earlier. (I do have a backup file btw)... though there seems to be some way to upgrade it to the iPad baseband and unlock, I haven't been able to carry that out. (Tried using sn0w but it sort of fails after entering DFU mode)

Can someone please help out.... thank you!!

phone info -
    baseband 05.15.04
    bootloader 5.9_M3S2
    Model MB489
    iphone 3G

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If you have 3G, then it is impossible that your phone has 5.0.1 on it. The latest firmware for 3G is 4.2.1. So, check the firmware version on your phone and report back.

3. BiigBiscuit macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

This.

No way can you have iOS 5 on a 3G.

4. justbflat thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm.. ok - how do I check? Right now there's a little i icon which only gives me the IMEI #. The info I pasted earlier, was from the f0recast tool. Thanks.

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Go to Setting, general, about and look at the version.

6. justbflat thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually I now only get a screen which says 'No sim card installed .. insert a valid sim with no pin lock' . I don't have the original sim etc and it won't work with my new sim. On this screen if I unlock it shows me an Emergency call keypad . and I can just revert to the first screen - nothing else available.

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Hactivate it with redsn0w to by pass activation screen.

8. justbflat thread starter macrumors newbie

Currently struggling: what options do I have to execute in redsn0w.exe? Using the tutorial above, I can't get iTunes to give me any prompts - it just tells me the iphone is locked (I inserted my new sim during this) and there's nothing else to do.

9. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Try put in DFU mode and restore with itunes , maybe you have a "3GS" ? Havent heard any news about ios 5 on the 3g model

10. justbflat thread starter macrumors newbie

itunes throws up error 1601 :confused:

----------

should i be letting itunes fetch the latest update etc from the servers...or should i feel it an ipsw file?

i have the follownig files -
    iPad1,1_3.2.2_7B500_Restore.ipsw
    iPhone1,2_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw
    iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw
    iPhone2,1_4.3.4_8K2_Restore.ipsw
    sn0wbreeze_iPhone 3G.ipsw

11. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

12. justbflat thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i guess. i also tried what roxxette suggested - basically went into DFU, and opened itunes..which said the phone was in recovery and needed to be restored.. so i let it restore.. once with an ipsw i had and then by allowing it to to download directly.... but i just ended up with itunes giving me 1601 and other errors.

appreciate any help... i can follow the tutorials (to an extent) but the sequence of things is just utterly confusing.

13. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

When your phone was at emergency call screen, then you have succeeded reset it to factory setting. So, I am not sure why you didn't follow my instruction to hactivate it with redsn0w to by pass that screen. Your phone is now stuck in recovery mode now.

Put it into DFU mode, restore it to factory setting again and then this time hactivate it with redsn0w.

14. justbflat thread starter macrumors newbie

Crystal, I did try hacktivating - but the link I posted above was the one I tried to follow..as we can see now, erroneously!

If you can share a link on this I'd be happy to try that out!

15. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Like I said, the link you provide previously won't work because you need the sim from original carrier to activate. Anyway, forget about this.

Let start from the beginning to find out which phone do you have.

1. Look at the back of your phone and tell me model # on the wording in the lower section of the phone. It is starting with A.....
    2. Does the wording in lower section in regular print letters or chrome (matching the Apple logo above)?

16. justbflat thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Crystal
    I have a iphone 3G - its a black iphone 8GB from 2010 or before. I had used f0recast to find out about baseband etc as I pasted above - and then found the model # was listed as a iphone 3g on another website. So I think we got that figured out :)

I didn't understand your 2nd ques....

17. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If you have 3G, then you can only have 4.2.1 fw on it if you restore to factory setting.

So, here is what you need to do;

1. Put your phone into DFU mode and restore it with Itunes.
    2. Download redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 onto your PC.
    3. Once your phone is at activation screen, run it through redsn0w and it will hactivate/jailbreak your phone to bring it to home screen.

Make sure you locate the 4.2.1 fw on your PC, when you run redsn0w, you will have to point redsn0w to that fw in order to proceed.

18. justbflat thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Crystal
    I've got it until the step where redsnow gets into 'waiting for reboot'...tried unpluggin the cable (from another macrumour post) etc but didn't do anything - the iphone stays dark and the waiting sign remains on redsnow.

19. justbflat thread starter macrumors newbie

Still stuck here.. Gave it all the time but it stayed stuck at Waiting for reboot .. the phone is still in DFU mode I think because it won't switch on..

20. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Do you have another computer that you can try it on?

21. justbflat thread starter macrumors newbie

unfortunately, no :(

22. meddyman9 macrumors newbie

Same Problem Ios5

I am having the same problem with my iphone 3g. I can confirm that when I updated, the phone says I have version 5.0.1 (9a405) If anyone has any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Or if someone knows how to simply unlock the carrier.

23. iSwag macrumors newbie

iSwag

i have a iphone 3g 8gb 4.2.1 and there's no ios 5 for iphone 3g sorry bro,:apple:

24. meddyman9 macrumors newbie

ios5 on 3g

I know its backwards but you can see the OS.

[​IMG]