iPhone 3G, iPhone 3G Dock, and iPhone Bluetooth Travel Cable

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ChrisBrightwell, Sep 20, 2008.

1. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

So ... Has anyone tried this combo?

I bought the iPhone 3G dock, hoping that I could use it with the cable that came with my bluetooth headset and still be able to charge both the iPhone and the bluetooth together.

It turns out, however, that it doesn't work. Does anyone know why?

If I plug the headset into the cable, but leave the iPhone out of the dock, the headset charges. If I drop the iPhone into the dock, the iPhone charges but the headset doesn't.

If I take the dock out of the equation, everything works perfectly.

Anyone have any ideas? Solutions? Suggestions?

I'm probably going to return the dock in a few days and get a iPhone Dual Dock off of eBay or something and take a dremel to it so that the iPhone 3G will fit.

2. ChrisBrightwell thread starter macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Haha ... OK. 122 views, no insight.

Going to the Genius Bar tomorrow after work.

Thanks to everyone who at least took a look. :p

3. paulrr macrumors newbie

Dont bother going to the Genius bar. I tried this as well as other forum members. It just doesnt work for whatever reason. Just gotta wait for the real dual dock for 3G. There is nothing wrong with the stuff you have so they couldnt help you at the Genius bar.

4. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

WTF - I just came across this issue myself, I can't understand why the 3G dock won't allow the Apple Bluetooth headset to charge when the cable is attached. I thought the dock was just a pin-to-pin connection, nothing fancy inside. I called Apple and the agent hadn't a clue, recommended I contact the local Apple store. Seems as though this is a known issue here on MR, I guess I'll just have to live with it. It's seriously stupid that Apple didn't test for that.

5. ChrisBrightwell thread starter macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Yep ... It sucks that they dropped the dual dock, too, which is really what I want.

6. redcrow240 macrumors member

if you can get ahold of a dual dock, there is somebody on ebay who specializes in modifying it so a 3g fits. Im getting mine back in a few days, ill let you guys know how it turned out. Its $9.99 and i think 6 bucks for return shipping (not including what it will cost you to ship it to him). He has 100% feedback and rave reviews. He's even trying to account for my bodyguardz film on the front and back of phone.

Now my only problem is that I ditched the bodyguardz a few days ago and just got an incase slider (gunmetal). The bottom part of it is soooo hard to take off, im assuming itll loosen up the more i do it. We'll see how my phone fits in the dock. My old leather elan form's bottom came right off back in the day lol.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Your-Apple-iPho...0|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1309|301:1|293:1|294:50

7. redcrow240 macrumors member

got my dock back. He did a good job and my iphone 3g now fits :) . I only have the new problem of not being able to take the bottom part off of the incase slider. Its just too tight. Even though I dont have the bodyguardz on anymore, I can tell that it would fit in the dock.

8. ChrisBrightwell thread starter macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Pics?