iPhone 3G -> iPhone 3GS ...A Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Spongey817, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Spongey817 macrumors regular

So I'm planning to upgrade from my 3G iPhone to a iPhone 3GS in the few upcoming days. I have a few questions...

1) Should I wipe all the information (contacts, calendars, music, etc) on my iPhone prior to getting to the Apple Store? Once there is no SIM in my iPhone 3G, can I still connect it to my MacBook and clear everything on it?

2) Are they just swapping SIM cards?

3) Once I get the 3GS, I should just connect it to my MacBook, and the latest backup of my 3G will be restored onto the 3GS, correct?

I've glanced over a few threads on the main page, but none seem to answer these specifically. Thanks for all the answers, and I apologize in advance if a few have already been answered.

2. titaniummd macrumors member

1) I would. You can do it through iTunes but I have read that it can take hours.

2) I don't know.

3) I don't know.

3. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

1. You should wipe all you data before selling or giving your phone to someone else. You don't need to do this before you go to the Apple Store, you can do it at any time. Settings > General >Reset > Erase all content and settings (it will take 2ish hours).

2. They will probably swap your sims and then activate the phone for you. They might have you do it yourself at home with iTunes.

3. You can restore from your backup if you want to transfer over all your settings, texts, calls, and app data data. After that it will ask you to sync your media (music, photos, apps, contacts, calendars, etc)

4. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

1) Yes, and Yes. But are you selling your 3G? either way you can wipe info without the sim.

2) They will activate a new sim usually or you can ask for them to keep the same sim ( really makes no difference )

3) Yes your backup info will go on your new 3GS just fine.