iPhone 3g - Is it really worth it (O2 UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tucker101uk, Jul 7, 2008.

1. tucker101uk macrumors member

Hey all -

I've been browsing these forums for a while now, but only just bothered to register as I cant help myself any longer!

I currently own an iPhone 8gb, which I bought back in October. Im very happy with it, and before you all start moaning, I love it to bits.

Yes the camera could be a bit better, and yes the speakers are a bit tinny, and yes it can't do MMS or video, but still I think its an amazing innovative piece of hardware.

I was really excited with the launch of 3g, and a new version of the iPhone, however after watching the keynote speech by SJ, and seeing the O2 upgrade T&Cs, I was left rather shocked and disappointed...

I paid 279.99 for my iPhone, firstly - why should i fork out another 160 quid for a decent 16gb iphone? Currently im on the £35 contract, and I dont really want to move onto a higher tariff... But most of all, I dont want to start my 18 months all over... O2 really have got everyone by the balls here...

Secondly, the new hardware features the 3g iPhone has to offer seem a bit weak, I mean, I have a TomTom for GPS, and I find EDGE is fast enough for me to get my emails and use google maps, along with a bit of browsing in safari here and there... I have previously owned a 3g phone with the UK provider "three", and I have to say that in the UK, 3g coverage is pretty sketchy... What everyone is forgetting is that the use if 3g network speeds relies on you being able to pick up a 3g network!!!

These features are old hat anyway, the innovators at apple should be looking forward to new things, not playing catch up with the rest of the market...:confused:

All of the other features on the new iPhone will be available to the original iPhone via the pending release of 2 dot 0, and besides, if I wanted to, I could jailbreak my iPhone...

So tell me - Why should I upgrade? Sure if you dont yet have an iPhone in the UK, then the 3g iPhone is a definate must have. But in my opinion, those of us in the UK with an original iPhone, I can't see the point!?

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

How about you check out the specs on the iPhone page at Apple instead. Ultimately, it's your mind that has to be made up about buying or not buying one. Do what's best for your position. It sounds like you've already answered your question - the 3G iPhone doesn't sound right for you at this time.

3. Brutalpootle macrumors member

Brutalpootle

My main reason for upgrading is to get the 16Gb version so I don't have to spend so much time deciding which albums to put on it :)

My wife wants a new phone anyway and she's happy to have my existing iPhone so it's easy for me to justify getting a new one.

If you don't need GPS and you're unlikely to benefit from 3G then you should probably save your money!

4. page3 macrumors 6502

Just be happy with your original iPhone and upgrade it to V2 software.

No-one *needs* to upgrade.

If extra storage, 3G and GPS isn't compelling enough for you then there really is no point.

I'm 50/50 myself...

5. beast macrumors member

it is really a personal call...... if your iPhone does everything that you need it to do, you don't need/live in a 3G area and don't need/care about GPS then their is little reason to upgrade.

6. tucker101uk thread starter macrumors member

I'm personally not going to - but I still cant understand all the hype, and the amount of people who are!?!