iPhone 3G is Thicker (but "thinner on the edge")

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Elsewhere, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Elsewhere macrumors member

I noticed that Steve Jobs said that the new iPhone 3G is "thinner on the edge", which caused my ears to peek up. In my life I've learned the importance of mincing peoples words to look for subtle but important clues to what exactly they are communicating.

After hearing "thinner on the edge" I had to pull up the old and new specs and here is what I found:

iPhone Dimensions:
    115 x 61 x 11.6mm

iPhone 3G Dimensions:
    115.5 x 62.1 x 12.3mm

So yes, the outer edge is thinner, like the Macbook Air, but the back of the iPhone 3G is actually just a bit thicker and just a bit wider and just a bit taller.

On an interesting note, the new iPhone 3G weighs the same (133 grams) as the old iPhone.

2. stateofmind macrumors regular

wasnt it almost certain it was going to be thicker, I'm relieved because I thought it would be even more thick

3. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Yea i know. they try to be all sneaky!! But I mean what could steve had said? "Well.. it's pretty much the same size.. err.. i mean sure it's a little thicker.. but basically the same!"
    ;)

4. Kinderhauz macrumors member

If you read news stories about the iPhone, most of the reporters were dumb enough to fall for it. I've seen at least three headlines about how the iPhone 3G is "thinner" than the old one.

5. Trichotillo macrumors newbie

This is the same tactic Apple used for the iMac and to a certain extent the MBA. They're thin on the edges, but thick in the middle. Though they are very sexy machines, the lot of them.