Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
Afternoon!

My problems started when I upgraded to OS 4 - which turned my phone into an expensive ornament! Downgraded to 3.1.3 and from there on I've been having signal issues.

I've never had any issues with signal in the last 8 months of having the phone and then suddenly I wasn't getting good signal (1 or 2 bars max) or any signal at all. Would be stuck on searching or no service.

Apple replaced the phone and same issues!! Got a new SIM card from Orange UK and this seemed to cure it however the phone keep locking up and showing error "Different SIM detected, please connect to iTunes". It did this 6 times in 12 hours.

Both Orange and Apple recommended I backup and then restore the phone. I've done that by forcing iTunes to restore using 3.1.3 rather than upgrading to OS 4 but now I'm back at square one with poor or no signal.

I have found out that if i turn off 3G in the options menu I will get full signal where i was getting none when 3G was turned on.

Could there be a problem with the file of 3.1.3 im using? Do USA and UK version of the firmware differ which may be causing the problems?

Apologies this is such a long thread... but I do hope someone can help...

thedino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
Would it be worth doing another restore but whilst the phone is in recovery mode this time?

skerfoot

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2010
similar loss of 3G

I'm having a similar problem with both the 3G iPhones in our house. We upgraded to the new iOS and since then we can't get 3G service in places where it used to work fine.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.