iPhone 3G Jailbreak Issue

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Orlandu, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Orlandu macrumors 6502

Orlandu

My dad is still rocking an iPhone 3G and recently got an iPad2. He wants to be able to tether his 3G to his iPad2.

I'm using Redsnow and 4.2.1 ipsw to try and jailbreak his 3G. After finally figuring out that IE renames .ipsw to .zip and changing it back... I was able to start. But every time I get the iPhone 3G into DFU mode, Redsnow says USB Communication Error. I tried from another PC and had the same issue. The computer would beep when the iPhone 3G went in to DFU mode, showing that it was connected. But it wouldn't work through Redsnow.

I thought maybe it was a Windows 7 thing but my brother has an old iPhone 3G and he said he used Windows 7 to jailbreak his a while ago. And I've used Windows 7 to do my iPhone 4 a few times, so I'm not sure where the issue lies.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

try to run it in window XP compatible. Right click the executable and set it to run as administrator in Windows XP compatibility mode.

Here is the tutorial link on how to jailbreak this 3G phone.

http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12949

3. Orlandu thread starter macrumors 6502

Orlandu

I forgot to try that. I ran it as administrator but not in XP compatibility mode. I was using the latest redsnow, 0.9.9b6 I think. Would that make a difference? The one mentioned in the tutorial is 0.9.6b5

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If redsn0w recognize the fw you select, then it is okay. If you use a much, much update version of redsn0w, it might not recognize the old fw.