iPhone 3G Jailbreak Mac

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by JosephDuffy, Mar 15, 2011.

1. JosephDuffy macrumors regular

Hi,
    I'm looking to jailbreak my iPhone 3G.
    I have a Mac, and I'm not looking for much.
    All I want is to be able to turn it off and on again, without it being plugged into a computer, or any other "side-effects".
    I'm not afraid to get "stuck in", I'd open the thing up if I had to.
    So basically, what's the best solution to this? :)
    Also, one small question; Do I still sync with iTunes? I've seen very little documentation on jailbreaking, point me to a source, if you can?
    Thanks,
    Joseph Duffy

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

you can use redsnow or pwnage tool. go to www.iclarified.com and check out their tutorials section...

3. JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.
    I went through the site, and found http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12947&laid=
    It's talking about "Basebands", and how if I'm on 5.14 or above, I'll need to upgrade to 6.15, which is irreversible. How can I check that I don't need 6.15 before hand, as I might want to undo this one day?
    Thanks,
    Joseph Duffy

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Are you looking to unlock your phone now or possibly in the future? if you update your baseband you wont be able to unlock and will be stuck to AT&T (assuming you are in the U.S.) if you are already an AT&T customer and dont plan on changing that anytime soon then you dont have to worry about baseband.

if you do want to unlock your phone now or later then it is in your best interest to keep your current baseband intact, I know pwnage tool allows you to do this (not sure about redsnow since I've never used it)

5. JosephDuffy, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not looking at unlocking my iPhone (I'm on o2 UK), and I'm now restoring my iPhone from my backup to get all my old apps etc on (I'm guessing it'll keep Cydia on?).
    However, I'd like to unlock multitasking, battery %, rotation lock etc, how do I do this?
    Thanks,
    Joseph Duffy

EDIT: I also fear that I'm now getting no signal. I chose that my iPhone DOESN'T needed iTunes for its contract, or somethin like that. Will I need to say yes to that question, and then just restore to that .ipsw? Will this also mean I won't have to enter DTU Mode (I think that's right?), since it's already jailbroken, it'll just be an "update"?

6. JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

I've successfully installed Cydia etc, but I can't find how to unlock non-3G features on my 3G.
    I'm currently messing around, changing my Text Tone, but I really want the non-3G features! :)

7. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

8. JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

I mainly want Homescreen Backgrounds, and the Multi-Tasking bar (I want the Music part, and the rotation lock).
    So, I get RedSn0w, edit the .ipsw that Pwnage Tools gave me, and restore again using iTunes?
    Also, I'm trying to SSH a new ringtone to my Phone. I'm using Cyberduck, and under "Library", I don't see "Ringtones", any ideas?
    Thanks for all the help guys! :D
    One last thing. If I have to now restore my Phone, will it somehow backup my Cydia apps too? How will this work when upgrading? :S
    I still need info on why I've got no signal, if anyone can help?

9. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

10. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

When you jailbreak using redsnow you get the option at the beginning of what options to enable.

Be warned though, enabling background wallpapers makes the phone crawl.

11. JosephDuffy, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

I've now enabled Multi-tasking and backgrounds, just restarting, hopefully it'll work. Edit: Worked, but text for apps is grey-ish, so I can't read them all, they should be white?
    It's now all 100% how I want, except I can't get signal. Anyone got any ideas? I'm willing to restore again, it's taken me long enough, I can wait a bit longer ;)
    I'm stuck on 1 bar, with no carrier name, and no options in the Settings App. After about 30 minutes, it's changed to "No Signal", even though I always have signal where I am.

12. JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

Disabled Backgrounds (Didn't really need).
    Nothing more I can't sort out, except I've Googled the crap out of no signal after jailbreak, with no luck. I just used the "Simple" or "Easy" method of Pwnage Tool, and said "No" to needing iTunes to activate. I'm using o2-UK, and its locked to o2-UK. I don't want to unlock, just get it working! :)

13. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Can you try reset network setting and see if it works?

14. JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

I have no setting to reset, I have a feeling my Phone needs activating :(
    Any ideas if I can activate after my Jailbreak?
    If not, I'll just re-jailbreak, and chose "yes" at the following screen: http://grab.by/9uOj

15. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

16. JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

Reset. Still nothing though. Nothing to configure in General/Network, other than VPN. However, I can't change other settings.

17. JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

Chose "Yes", all is working, now to get my Cydia stuff back.
    When I backup on iTunes, will Cydia be backup, to? If not, how do I backup these settings/apps, should I say lose my iPhone, upgrade software (Which I'm assuming I must do the recovery mode/restore again?), will it be in the iTunes Backup?
    Thanks for all the help, really looking forward to getting my Cydia Apps!

18. Weiser878 macrumors regular

Cydia will not be backed up. In essence, by jailbreaking all you did was add Cydia.

There are several backup tools available, but I would guess you didn't use any of them before since you're asking about it here.

Just gonna have to manually reload your stuff. Keep in mind that some things don't work on 4.2.1 that previously did