iPhone 3G Jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Plsleite, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Plsleite macrumors newbie

Hi!

I've had an iPhone 3G for quite some time, and remember jailbreaking it once, through the jailbreakme website. I then thought the device got slower so I restored it and never jailbroke it again.

I'm quite a noob at this, so sorry for the silly questions.

I've read iPhone 3G run better at iOS 3.x than 4.x. Can I downgrade my iOS 4.2.1? If so, could someone please direct me to a tutorial?

Now I'm really sory for this one, I know I'll make someone angry but I have to ask (I just found so many info on the web I don't know in which way to go):
    What's the best method for jailbreaking my Iphone 3G on 4.2.1?
    Could someone please direct me to a tutorial?
    I expected to find stickies with these guides, really!

Thanks in advance.

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You are correct that 3G run best with 3.1.3. You can downgrade your phone to 3.1.3 without the need of shsh blob.

I have posts instruction on how to do this on my previous post. So, if you search or look posts under my name, you should be able to find it.

Also, Iclarified.com has all the tutorials you need to jailbreaking your phone.

3. Plsleite thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check those out tomorrow!

4. Plsleite thread starter macrumors newbie

I went out to download the necessary files and got stuck with the redsn0w broken link in step one (http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12949).

Didn't know which version to download from Dev-Team Blog official torrents. Could someone point me the right one?

Thanks again... =]

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Use 0.9.6rc16 to jailbreak your phone. You can google search this and you will see tons of sites you can get this tool.

6. Plsleite, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

Plsleite thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry, I didn't find your last post with the instructions, could you link it?

Edit. Nevermind, just found this one, will try it out.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12286170&postcount=3

7. Plsleite, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

Plsleite thread starter macrumors newbie

I did manage to donwgrade to iOS 3.1.3 and jailbreake it, using jailbreakeme.com, but what I'd like to share is about Whited00r (http://www.whited00r.com).

Soon after downgrading my iPhone 3G I tryed their custom firmware (based on iOS 3.1.3) and am pretty much astonished with it. Their work is impressive. It's very fast and full of customizable features I didn't have on my 4.2.1 iPhone 3G (multitasking; home wallpaper; notifications - haven't seen this one in action yet; reminders; aside from folders - not available on 3.1.3 and others). Really nice.

Don't know if all of those features could be added through jailbrake mods but coming from a non jailbreak 4.2.1 iOS world I can say I've got a new device.

I did have 1604 errors from iTunes while installing it but got it solved by using iREB (http://ih8sn0w.com/index.php/products/view/ireb.snow). It puts your iDevice on pwnd dfu mode, and all you have to do then is a shift restore on iTunes using whited00r custom firmware.

8. gugy macrumors 68030

OK guys,
    I would really appreciate if you guys can guide me through this process.
    I have never done JB or unlock a phone.

I have an iPhone 3G with 4.2.1 and modem firmware 05.15.04
    My wish is to unlock it, use overseas to make local calls using a local SIM card. I have Mac as my main computer and I would still like to manage my content using iTunes.

What's the easiest and best way to achieve this? Thanks again for any help!

9. Plsleite thread starter macrumors newbie

Don' know anything about unlocks, but I believe what u want is this.
    http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12947

Take a look at their warnings though, it appears u'll have to upgrade ur baseband. Don't know if there's another way of doing it, maybe dowgrading your firmware and then unlocking it without upgrading your baseband... :confused:

10. gugy macrumors 68030

Thanks man.
    The problem I am encountering is that all the links to download the software are broken and when I research it it takes me to tons of different sites and versions that I think iclarified.com don't support anymore.
    At this point I am stuck not knowing what direction to go.

11. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

I just checked and softwares link from Iclarified.com still work. You might want to check your setting. I use firefox as my browser.

12. gugy macrumors 68030

Just tried the Redsnow link on FireFox without success. :(

13. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If you google search "redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 download", you will see lot of sites you can get the this file.

14. gugy macrumors 68030

Thanks I did not know the version!