iPhone 3G jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carrollf, Jul 3, 2008.

1. carrollf macrumors regular

carrollf

Does anyone know if it will be as easy to jailbreak the new 3G iPhone to allow it work on any network?

2. Sherb macrumors member

No one knows if it will be easy or hard we'll have to wait and see. And I am certain it will get jailbroken.

3. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

I thought I read somewhere (I can't remember where) that some hackers got a hold of the 2.0 beta and are already working on it, saying it wasn't going to take too long. But Apple could always change something before gold master and ruin their jailbreaking attempts. I give it less than two weeks after release.

4. Sherb macrumors member

I downloaded 2.0 for fun and it worked (with PwnageTool), but that doesn't mean it will work out of the box like that. Apple could always do something before it's shipped :eek:

5. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

The PWNAGEunlocking tool has successfully cracked the 2.0 software, so I say... 3 days after announcement we will have them unlocked.

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

thats only worked on betas 1, 2 and 3 of the 2.0 beta
    currently on beta 8

also, jailbreak is not an unlock

7. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

I thought I read somewhere that the 3G iPhone can't be used on other networks due to using different frequencies. Anyone confirm?

If I can get a 3G iPhone to work with T-Mobile even if only on Edge then I'm buying one.

8. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Even when it is jailbroken, every app needs to be rewritten. None of the current apps will work in 2.0.

9. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Software 2.0 is at beta 8. Beta 1, 2 and 3 were unlocked or jailbroken.

Beta 4 onwards have yet to be jailbroken or unlocked.

I say Software 2.0 Gold Master will be a hard cookie to crack.

R-Fly

10. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

I give it about 2 days to jailbreak and a few more after that to get all the apps 2.0 functional

11. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

My question to people is this;
    Seeing how :apple: is locking the software on the iPods to only work with iTunes, what is to stop them from doing something similar on the iPhone?
    Meaning;
    Your iPhone when plugged into iTunes must pass a md5 or crc check or something similar to sync. IF it fails the check the phone is automatically updated to the latest software because its 'corrupt'.

12. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

It'll just be a couple days. Apple will do a damn good job making it harder to crack, but the people cracking it are just as smart. Every major electronic device has been hacked less than a week after release. Xbox360, PS3, Wii, iPhone. Kinda makes you wonder what these people would do if nobody restricted their hardware :D

13. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

That is actually plausible, but then again, if something went wrong, people would sue Apple for force-updating their device(s).

Look back a few months ago, Apple pushed a new Safari build through 'Software Update' on Windows,
    and people went nuts and presumed Apple was trying to take over their computer.

R-Fly

14. Deguello macrumors 6502

On what cause of action, I wonder.

15. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Apple is less concerned about jailbreaking then unlocking because then AT&T will get on their asses about all the iPhoners with T-Mobile, since the new 3G is going to be a lot harder to unlock and you wont be able to use T-Mo's 3G anyway, i think there will be less of a demand for unlocked iPhones, 3G ones anyway unless they figure something out

16. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

pwnage most definately does work on 2.0 way beyond beta 3. I haven't got definate confirmation of it working on the gold master but TBH I can't see how apple could stop it (although the protocol has changed now and you need itunes 7.7, which you can't get.. but I'm told that's been worked around too now).

I could tell you the unlock sequence up to beta 7, but a quick google could get you that information. Beta 6 and Beta 7 had the same baseband btw. so it's entirely possible the gold master does (I'll find out from someone in the know sometime, or maybe just wait until 2.0 is released and do it myself..).

17. frosse macrumors 6502a

I'm giving it 2 days to get jailbroken and a total of 7 days for unlock.