Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You can keep the equipment (iPhone 3G) if you cancel AFTER 30 days. Before the 30-day mark, you have to return it. Termination fee applies to both situations.

Not exactly. If you cancel in the first 30 days you do not have to pay the termination fee, but you do have to return the phone. If you cancel after 30 days you have to pay the termination fee, but you get to keep the phone (although you could probably do this before the first 30 days). What it amounts to is you will end up paying around 400 for a 3g phone free from ATT's clutches.

RubberShoes

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Yes, I know the iPhone has 850/1900/2100 MHz for pretty much the whole world. The point I was trying to make is that the iPhone will not operate on T-Mobile's 3G network because their 3G is on 1700/2100 MHz while the iPhone has no 1700 band. Both bands are needed in order to access the Internet.

1700MHz is used for the upload, while the 2100MHz is for the download...

If I sound stupid I apologize in advance but hypothetically could you use the 3G 2100MHz for the download and EDGE for the upload? I mean the things optimized to switch between 2G and 3G based on its availability and power consumption, so the iPhone is made to use a combination of both. And with this idea think of how much data you download for webpages as opposed to uploading.

Just an idea...

BTW what does Germany's T-Mobile use for its 3G frequencies?

mattc120

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
Iphone 3g is the biggest rip off
http://www.gsmarena.com/iphone_3g_for_$199_or_even_free__but_whats_the_catch-news-521.php

ill just sum up that whole article

AT&T will be offering the iPhone with its standard voice plans, which start at 40 US dollars. Additional 3G data plan is needed in order to make use of the 3G/HSDPA internet browsing - those plans start at 30 US dollars. So in US you are looking at 1680 US dollars minimum additional fees just to enjoy the iPhone 3G. If those 3G plans are optional, then it's 960 US dollars. Add to that the 199 US dollars initial price and you are all set with a Black market-ready 1200 US dollars iPhone 3G 8GB.

Great deal right?

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Contracts, GPS, Edge on T-mobile

I have a feeling the contract at time of purchase is not going to last. People aren't going to go for it. They'll want to look it over, or as someone said "give it as a gift", or just not use AT&T.

Aside from that, this phone DOES have a real GPS device built in right? It's just that it ALSO uses 3G tech to assist the GPS. SO even without 3G, you can still use GPS.

and even if you don't have 3G, it's still a valid Edge phone usable on the T-Mo network.. and of course there's FREE Wi-Fi!!!!

S.F.'s set to go citywide free wi-fi, maybe it'll catch on everywhere! and then skynet will take over and kill us all with our pocket gadgets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.