iPhone 3G ... Keeps wanting to shut off!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by southcounty949, Aug 7, 2008.

1. southcounty949 macrumors member

southcounty949

Hi, I've had my iPhone 3G for about 3 weeks now. Ever since last night, it's been trying to shut itself off, like when you HOLD the top sleep/power button off. I will be either text messaging or reading email and it will first go to sleep, then it will try to turn itself off, but doesn't because you have to swipe the slider. I have a case, and the case is NOT hitting the button. I've already tried to turn the power on and off to restart it and it's still having this issue. Anyone else have this problem, and were you able to fix it? I'm thinking about going to the apple store today if I can't figure it out today. :apple: Thanks ahead of time for your input.

2. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Take it back......

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Sounds like a short on the sleep circuit, likely caused by tin whiskers. Take it back.

TEG

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Similar things goin' on with my 16GB White. I'm making a trip to the Apple Store this afternoon...:confused:

5. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

6. southcounty949 thread starter macrumors member

southcounty949

Same here! Also, I forgot to mention, I did upgrade to the 2.01 software when it came out. Have you done this also?

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

try keeping it off the case and see if it has the same thing...if it tries to shut off...take it back to Apple

9. southcounty949 thread starter macrumors member

southcounty949

OK .... I think I fixed it.

Here's what I did:

I synced my iPhone w/ my computer. I first backed everything up. Then under my iphone settings in itunes and unchecked sync applications. I basically cleared all my applications, and then tried it, and it worked! I then went back and checked "SYNC all Apps" and so far so good. I'm still in the process of trying out all the apps. Hopefully, I won't have to deal with taking it back. :cool::apple:

10. southcounty949 thread starter macrumors member

southcounty949

I spoke too soon. It's doing it again. &*^&**$$%$#@ !!! :mad:

11. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

12. southcounty949 thread starter macrumors member

southcounty949

I did this already, no change. :confused:

13. aphexii macrumors 6502

I would just take it back. No sense worrying yourself about it if it just may crop up again later.

14. southcounty949 thread starter macrumors member

southcounty949

Yup, going to the Irvine store tonight. I paid full price for this bad boy, it better be working. :eek:

15. southcounty949 thread starter macrumors member

southcounty949

I actually took my iPhone back to the Mission Viejo store. The Mac Genius asked me what was wrong, turned it on, and gave me a new iPhone! Apple Store rocks!!

For anyone that has big issues with their iPhone and you're going to take it back to the Apple Store, make sure you take the box, and everything that came with it, the receipt or the credit card you used to purchase the phone. The new phone works like a charm (so far). :D

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Congrats on the new iPhone. I went to the San Francisco Stockton Apple Store, but I couldn't reproduce the situation. I'll go to the Emeryville Bay Street Apple Store tomorrow, since I was able to reproduce the situation after I left SF Apple Store. Ended-up buying a BT Motorola H12 while I was in, but I'll bring my packaging, receipt and the whole nine yards tomorrow. :eek:

17. southcounty949 thread starter macrumors member

southcounty949

The guy at the apple store didn't even try to reproduce the problem. I hope you get it fixed or get a new one.

18. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Just arrived home after a trip to the Emeryville (Bay Street) Apple Store, California. With a new 3G 16GB White iPhone, b/c the aforementioned problems ^^^ of the OP, and the fact that my iPhone's glass was not flush at the upper portion of the iPhone. The "Orange Shirt Genius" took my iPhone in to the back for a Manager to look at, and she returned with a brand new iPhone (I brought my iPhone box and receipt) in the box and said they would replace my 6 day old iPhone. As she opened the new box, I mentioned that my headset was at my residence (actually in a shoebox filled with headphones and headsets, sort of a graveyard), she said no problem while she put the new headset into my old box. She then said "Oops, what's this?" as she held my USB Docking Cable up for me to see, I said "I can't tell a lie, it looks like my 10 month old Hotoe Rabbit named Bun-Bun, took a bite out of crime!" She laughed, and I asked "how much for a new cable?" She replied "don't worry about it, I'll give you a new cable." Everything took about 10 minutes, and I picked-up a $43.45 Griffin PowerDuo (car charger/wall charger in one) to replace my now useless Griffin Car Charger & FM Transmitter. When I did the back-up, I also received a free trial of MobileMe to top it off. Overall, a great day at the Apple Store...:cool:

19. johndawg1973 macrumors newbie

My glass front isn't flush either!

I am having the same issue with my phone randomly going black. I checked the screen level and mine is not flush either. I am taking it back tonight.

Thanks!
    --------------
    update: They ended up swaping out the iPhone after looking at the screen level to see that it wasn't flush. Of course we couldn't reproduce the issue ON THE SPOT, but they were really nice and swapped it out for a 16gb black.

Haven't had an issue with the new phone yet!

Thanks to the N. Point Apple store in GA.

John

20. southcounty949 thread starter macrumors member

southcounty949

Great to hear!! Another point for the Apple Store!!

21. tomind macrumors newbie

Iphone 3G S does it too

I bought the new Iphone 3G S and all night it keeps trying to shut off. I will be going back to the AT&T store to get it replaced!