iPhone 3G - LCD Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by blythy, Oct 9, 2009.

1. blythy macrumors member

I managed to smash the outer glass screen on my iPhone 3G.

Thanks to eBay - I've fit the iPhone with a new outer screen (and digitizer!), however my problem now seems to be the LCD.

Prior to fitting the new digitizer, the iPhone display worked as normal - however, now I don't get any sort of picture. The phone is definitely working as I can hear it receiving e-mail (it also vibrates when I flick the switch). When I plug it into iTunes it all shows up and syncs fine.

I have tried restoring the phone from iTunes, I've also tried the 10-second Reset trick several times.

...all to no positive outcome (so far).

There is no apparent damage to the LCD part and I have checked multiple times the the ribbon (#1) is in place correctly.

Has anybody I had a similar experience - and what was the outcome!? Thanks.

2. blythy thread starter macrumors member

I've only managed to find with 2 possible answers so far;

1. the ribbon/connector is damaged

2. the LCD Controller is damaged ?

3. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Verify you snapped the cables in properly. The ribbon cable slides in and gets locked down by the white tab, then the other two snap down. But they easily get disconnected so use a thin tool to clamp them down and close the device.

Lastly leave the phone on and let the battery die. I experienced a problem where my display wouldn't turn back on after opening the device and letting the battery die then plugging it in revived the device.

4. blythy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks - the cables are definitely in - so I'll try letting the battery die.

When you plugged it in, was that to your machine?

Cheers

5. blythy thread starter macrumors member

No joy I'm afraid... Insurance job!

6. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

Try a complete board reboot - unscrew logic board from battery then screw back on again. Also really check that LCD connector - they are hard to snap back on properly sometimes.

7. blythy thread starter macrumors member

It's worth a go I guess - thanks. I have already made the insurance claim, but it's still worth a try as I don't expect the insurance company to be quick!

Last time I had it open, I did notice a hairline crack on the LCD Connector Ribbon - this could very well be the source of the problem!