iPhone 3G light leak common in replacement iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Apr 16, 2009.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I haven't exchanged mine in a while, but the one I have now has light leak running up the entire left side. its hardly noticeable with a case on, but I was just wondering is it common in the newer replacement iPhone 3G's?

I realize there's a light leak thread but I think this is a different question.

My father got his replaced fairly recently and exhibits no light leak at all.

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Replacements should be just like new. Although refurbished, they answer to the same standards as a new iPhone.

That being said, your fathers as well as mine do not exhibit light leaks, therefore you should consider it not normal and go in for yet another replacement.

3. Private Dirt macrumors regular

Private Dirt

Mine didnt seem to leak when i first got it, but now, a few months later it does leak on the left side.

Seems like a petty reason to exchange it to me, especially if there are no ther problems. The exchange could be a lemon.. then what?? oh wait.. let me guess... exchange it again!

4. gumball981 macrumors member

sorry, but what exactly is a "light leak"
    because on my phone on the left side you can see light coming from up under the phone, I feel like the glass is offset? because the home button also is not like other iphones I play with in the store, it resists on the left side and I have a feeling it is from the offset glass?

5. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

6. Untaken macrumors member

I'm on my seventh iPhone 3G and ALL of them have had light leakage. Inspected several display units at Best Buy and the Apple store; all had light leakage. Checked a few friend's phones; yep, light leakage on all. No two are alike but they all have it. If someone actually has one that has absolutely NO light leakage whatsoever, I'd love to see it. I owe a friend a crapping of my pants (don't ask) and seeing one of these mythical no-light-leakage iPhone 3G's would certainly get the job done.

7. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

I exchanged my phone because of cracks and the refurb I got has the light leakage issue on the left side. Also has a dead pixel. I'll probably get a new one once the cracks become more prevalent... they are already there.