Iphone 3G location finding issue UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jester84, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Jester84 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I have a really specific issue i'm not sure if anyone else has a similar issue or could help, when I am at home (Guildford, UK) and try and find my location (please note this is when I am indoors and so it is working off the wifi and mobile network not GPS) my iPhone thinks I am in Rolde in the Netherlands it is pretty specific down to street level as well. Don't get me wrong using the vicinity application I have downloaded it looks like a nice place its just I am not there!! This hasnt happened to when I have done it anywhere else.

My only explanation is that it is something to do with the mobile network or wifi connection that maybe going through there at some point but that is all I can come up with, not a fault with the phone more the network, but I would be interested to hear any comments you may have?!

2. yogamonkey macrumors 6502

yogamonkey

I've had a couple of similar experiences, both of which are repeatable so I don't think it's just being unlucky. When I am on the train platform at Leigh-on-Sea, iPhone thinks I am in Greece.

I am moving house next week, and rather than seeing that it is in Essex, iPhone thinks it's in Devon. Happens every time I go there. Same mistake.

Really weird.

3. sparkyms macrumors 65816

When I was in Germany (Frankfurt Hahn Airport) the thing thought I was in Ireland, which was interesting, but that was before 2.0 on my old iPhone..

More recently however GPS nav has placed me in New York City, was nice to see all the traffic info but I probably would have known if I was there.. the dizzy heights of Eastleigh are just not the same..

4. bassy macrumors newbie

yeah mines pretty acurate. just picked me up at work on the 3g but on vicinity it tells me im somewhere else and cannot pick any places up near by such as pubs and banks. and nice to see another southampton lad here!!!

5. sparkyms macrumors 65816

It's a wonderful place isn't it. Where you from?

What's this vicinity app supposed to do then? Is it just like google maps but different?

6. Jester84 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm from the UK, the vicinity application tells you things about where you are and what is around you, it draws on info from wikipedia and pictures from flurl or panaramio.

It will also tell you where the nearest supermarket etc is, very handy!