Iphone 3G locked without dataplan with AT&T, need some info

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ozd, Mar 7, 2009.

1. ozd macrumors newbie

:confused:
    I just bought a locked 3G iphone from a person. I called AT&T from my regular phone and blocked all internet and media net use. I put my 3g sim from sony ericsson phone into Iphone. Phone is working fine and updating with ITunes too, Now weather and stocks are not updating as i blocked the internet. But now My AT&T online account shows iphone as my device. I am worried that AT&T will automatically add data plan to my phone. Note: Phone is still locked

Will AT&T add data plan to my account?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They have been known to do so to iPhones without a data plan, yes.

3. ozd thread starter macrumors newbie

Any solutions?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Not use AT&T? :p:D:eek:

5. ozd thread starter macrumors newbie

even if they add a data plan, I can still cancel it by calling from my regular cell phone and tell them I am not using it anymore.. I guess??

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

And then what; you'll keep using it? The same thing will just happen again. :(

Try to get a plan with Centennial (if you live in their coverage area) before their merger with AT&T is finalized. If not them, T-Mobile, I guess...

7. ozd thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to be with AT&T. I might change my APN address, do you think it will help?

8. Vanilla Cocoa macrumors member

Yes. Unless the carrier settings or the software is updated. You'll have to redo it.

9. ozd thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not familiar with changing APN. So is changing APN unlocking the phone?

10. bigchief macrumors 6502a

According to at&t's website you can not use an iphone without their full data plan. Just looked at it. Go there and look at their phone selection.

11. ozd thread starter macrumors newbie

I might wait for a month to see what comes up in bill. If they add data plan, I will just cancel it then change the APN or unlock it.

12. dave006 macrumors 68020

Your iPhone is telling A&T everytime you connect to the AT&T cellular network. It report's it IMEI which identifies your device as an iPhone 3G. If you want to try it yourself just enter your IMEI on this web site.

http://www.numberingplans.com/?page=analysis&sub=imeinr

This is not true today if you have no data plan. AT&T may choose to do this in the future but it is not currently adding iPhone data plans. AT&T began sending SMS Txt messages to customers thare were using an invalid data plan with the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G as of Sept. 21, 2008.

Changing the APN has nothing to do with the iPhone 3G reporting that it is an iPhone 3G. The APN settings are just used to configure the service providers settings to acces the data network. People change the APN to try to keep their phone from connecting to the AT&T data network when they don't have a WIX Block on the line. This is to prevent them from being charged on a per Kb rate for data usage.

Dave

13. ozd thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I have a WIX block as I called from my regular cellphone to have them block pay per use internet and media net. I checked with wifi off and 3g off, weather service, email and map will not work so I assume my WIX block is working properly. (that means I dont have to mess with apn)

So You(dave) mean that I can keep using my phone and not worry about them attaching a plan to my account right now. I checked my account and nothing added accept Iphone.

Thanks for the info.