iPhone 3G logic board connector damage

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bobgorila, Sep 20, 2009.

1. bobgorila macrumors member

bobgorila

So, I was following the teardown guide to transplant an iPhone 3G into a replacement back-case.

During the teardown I damaged the plastic shell around the number 3 ribbon cable connector on the logic board.

Now the phone will only boot up with the #3 cable disconnected, which of course means the home button (and presumably the proxy sensor and the light sensor? I have not tested) do not work.

With the cable connected the phone shows no signs of life whatsoever. It won't charge, or at least it does not give any indication that it charges, it isn't noted by any computer it's connected to, and the screen shows no signs of life - I can only imagine the damaged connector means something is shorting somewhere.

here is a photo of the offending connector - if you view at actual size you can see where the plastic was sheared off the connector and the pins beneath slightly bent.

Right now I figure my best hope is to try and maybe straighten the offending pins, or perhaps to remove complete, if they're pins I can do without - the light sensor, for example, wouldn't be missed.

Any ideas?

2. Moonbootz macrumors newbie

Same problem

I have th same problem, any help?? My pins and even th housing are damaged. Let me know of any solutions.

3. Casemon macrumors newbie

Have the exact same issue... damn that connector is sensitive (doesn't help the iFixit code is a little misleading; some of the cable connector covers are white, some are inverse)

Anyway, has anyone had theirs fixed by anyone here?

The 2 posters who offer to fix it have <5 posts, and I'm leery about sending my expensive phone (even just as parts) to some anonymous person with no verifiable history.

Thanks!

4. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Damn that's nasty. You should be more careful next time!
    Unless you can solder on a tiny scale I'd hang up the gloves now I'm afraid.

There is another thread on this same connector where people have sourced the actual connector but I am unsure if anyone was successful in repairing it.

Might be best if you looked round for a faulty iPhone on eBay or Craigslist and salvage the mainboard from it.

It honestly amazes me as to how people damage this connector so easily. In my experience, the digitizer connector always 'snags' before it even gets close to connector 3. Even the LCD connector is on top of both of them.
    I guess it's just bad luck and lack of experience in knowing what to be careful of.

Better luck next time I guess.

5. Casemon macrumors newbie

It was an accident, nothing more.

Thanks for posting just the same. :)

6. Casemon macrumors newbie

7. hectordtruong macrumors member

it seems as though Im a ghost on that thread too. i can easily offer the advice to people how to do this, but since it takes a tiny tiny tip and a microscope, I'm afraid people will just mess up their phones even more.

this isnt your run of the mill DIY, it takes experience working with small parts. ah well, I guess all i can say is if ANYONE needs help trying this on their own, feel free to let me know.

8. fife43 macrumors newbie

3G logic board

Hi kAoTIX
    I have a 3g that has been taken apart very crudely and has bent and slightly cracked the logic board under the 'do not remove screw'. The phone comes up with 'no service' and very occasionaly I can get it to get a signal. I think it would need a pcb repair on the tracks next to the antenna tab that touches the chrome bezel. Do you carry out these repairs or could you point me in the right direction?
    Many thanks Mike.

9. hectordtruong macrumors member

Could you post a pic or email me one? I may be able to save it.