iPhone 3G loop hole still working?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by n8236, Aug 26, 2008.

1. n8236 macrumors 65816

Is this loop hole still working?

Say, my Spring contract is up. I go to Walmart to start a new contract w/ AT&T and pick up a Samsung Blackjack and activate it. Then go pick up an iPhone, will that effectively cancel my contract w/ Walmart (BlackJack)? :D

2. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

No. As far as I am aware you would never have a contract with Walmart, you signed it with AT&T.

But let's just say that it did, what are you trying to accomplish? Just trying to understand what the point would be in doing this. To have a BlackJack and a iPhone?

3. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

you would have 2 contracts.

what you posted made no sense

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

5. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry for not being clear.

I ask this because it worked with the first gen iPhone.

What you would do is this:

Assuming your current contract with a carrier (other than AT&T) is finished. You would go to Walmart or watever to start a new at&t contract, say with a Blackjack. Have that activated and working. Then going ahead w/ an iPhone purchase and activation, that would effectively renew the at&t contract allowing the Blackjack phone to be freed. Unlock it, eBay it and sell it. TADA!

How else did I pay only $350 for my 8GB first gen iPhone lol.:D

6. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

I guess I don't know what loophole the OP is referring to so I likewise am lost. I think in order for anyone here to help out we need to know what it is you are trying to accomplish.

For example, do you want to get a BlackJack and the iPhone but only have one contract? If that is correct, you do understand that if it did work you would end up paying $399 (8GB)/$499(16GB) for the iPhone right?

But I am only guessing at what you are trying to ask.

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

The only reason why this worked, if I have the whole concept down, is that the first iPhone was not subsidized. That meant this could occur. Now ATT will make you pay either an upgrade price or something else that would make it more difficult for you to do this and it would just keep the existing contract you have.

It might work but I'm not sure. I could be completely speaking out of my ass.

8. richg916 macrumors regular

Basically you are a thief then... Isn't that what you are saying???:confused:

9. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Even though it's not subsidized, the iPhone did have something weird where it cancelled the current contract you are on (unsubsidized phones aren't supposed to do that) without charging an ETF.

10. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

Nevermind, it won't work. I just figured it out lol. The old iPhone didn't have a contract involved, so it would work.

I paid $650 for my old iPhone, sold a new BlackJack for $250 plus $100 Apple credit (which I sold), so I effectively only paid $350 for it. Not to mention I sold my first gen. on eBay for $350. ehehehe:D

Sorry, loop hole is closed.

11. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

It technically still works if you bought the 3G iPhone unlocked. And depending on what worthy phone you purchased, you can recoup a good amount of $ from it. Also, by the time the next iPhone comes out, u can sell ur iPhone 3G as a truly unlocked phone that doesn't have to go thru the hassles of unlocking etc. :D