iPhone 3G Mandatory Data Plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cronus130, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Cronus130 macrumors newbie

Cronus130

I have searched the threads however I have not found an answer to this question:

Will the new data plan for the iPhone 3G ($30) be required/mandatory for the life of the entire 2 year contract or can it be canceled at anytime like the current iPhone's EDGE ($20) data plan?

The reason I ask is want to use a friend's account (which is upgrade eligible) to get the iPhone at the $199/$299 price point which forces them into a 2 year contract however they do not need the 3G ($30) data plan as they would be keeping their current phone.

2. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

3. Cronus130 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cronus130

I noticed they are grouping both data and voice together, however it still seems unclear. If the 3G iPhone truly is like all other PDA phones and their plans, the data plan would be a separate from voice and could be canceled.

4. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

I suppose they could switch to a different plan that does not include data.

5. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

i don't think that ATT will be separating the voice and data plans. they are really treating this phone unlike any other. even offering early upgrade option to those ATT customers who are ineligible. They want to rope us into paying the higher prices.

6. Cronus130 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cronus130

This is exactly what I would like to know.