iPhone 3G Microphone, Speaker, Home Button, and Dock Connector Not Working!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by laughingperson5, Oct 23, 2010.

1. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

Hey guys;

I dropped my 3G on tile. Now the whole bottom compartment won't work.

I'm guessing it's busted, resorting me to getting a new phone. But I still need to backup all of my data. :\

Does anyone know of any fixes? Or will I have to try and fix the insides? :eek:

[edit; wrong section, my bad! i haven't gone on mr in a while. hehe.]

2. laughingperson5 thread starter macrumors 6502

OH WOW! I FIXED IT! :D

To those experiencing the problem, here's how it happened. I dropped my iPhone, naked from it's case, and the bottom hit the tiled floor.

The way I fixed it was I took the iPhone apart, using this guide.

I followed it up to Step 5. I got stumped at Step 6 since my screwdriver wouldn't unscrew them.

I gave up and started to put everything back together. But then I became a Curious George and checked the bottom of the phone. (the huge black part)

I saw that Ribbon 4 was popping out a bit. So I reattached it. Put my phone together. And voila! It's working!

So in summary.

1. Take apart your phone until you have the front panel off.
    2. Make sure you don't tear or cut the ribbons (esp. 1, 2, and 3; those connect to your screen.)
    3. Check ribbon 4 to see if it's detached.
    4. If it is, reattach it.
    5. Put your phone backtogether.
    6. Start charging it!

Good luck to you others!

3. JessTheMess macrumors newbie

JessTheMess

Once you fix it, you should go buy an Otterbox. They are amazing. I bought one for my clumsy brother who's in college and it has saved his iphone from so many droppings. They're cheaper on ebay than in the store also.

I know how annoying it is to have to get your phone fixed...my brother had to fix his twice