Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
I thought I would keep track of the battery today since it was a major concern for us all. Below are all my details, and questions/thoughts I have on how to improve the settings..

I fully charged the battery and took it off its dock at 630AM. I noticed that standby time on my phone INCLUDES usage time. So by the time I had like 1% battery life after using it all day, my phone had 3 HRS 59 MINS of USAGE & 7 HRS 28 MINS of STANDBY. What this means is that my phone was on for 7 HRS 28 MINS consecutively (I never turned it off) and during those 7+ hours, I was using the phone for almost 4 hours of the time before it drained.

My settings:
-Screen brightness was at 50% w/ auto-brightness ON
-Ringer was on 100% volume w/ vibrate OFF (vibrate ON in silent mode)
-EDGE used the whole charge, 3G set OFF, WIFI set ON (but never used WIFI)
-FETCH was set to HOURLY
-PUSH set OFF
-Bluetooth is set OFF
-Location services was set ON

Here is what I did while on my phone for those 3 HRS 59 MINS:
-I used AIM Messenger for approximately 1 hour
-I used text messaging to talk to my girlfriend for approximately 20 mins
-I listened to about 2-3 voicemails, deleted old voicemails
-I made 1-2 phone-calls but got their voicemail message, so left messages
-Checked the weather, played with SPLASHID app for 5 mins
-Alarm began the day by waking me up in the morning (which is when I removed it from the dock)
-Deleted some contacts from my phone
-Checked my e-mail on 2 different accounts for approx 15 mins
-Checked other random texts I received throughout the 7 approx hrs of standby, which was maybe a total 15 texts (and responded to them)
-Watched 30 seconds of a music video
-Kept the phone on silent for 2.5 hours of its 7 approx hrs of standby

Considering to do the following:
-Screen brightness set down to 30% w/ auto-brightness OFF
-Keep 3G off as before, but turn WIFI off now too!
-FETCH set to MANUALLY
-PUSH continued to stay OFF
-Turn LOCATION SERVICES off

Questions:
-Do you think my phone had normal battery life for the 3G iphone after initial monitoring above the original settings I had? Or was it better or worse than other's experiences?
-How much better do you think my battery life will be after considering the above new settings?
-Does fetch drain the battery more if I have 10 e-mails on FETCH as opposed to 5 e-mails? And does FETCH have any effect once I set everything to manual? Does this mean that my e-mail won't be updated itself at all unless I click on the e-mail address now?
-Does location services do anything else besides allow GPS? What features will I be missing with location services off?
-What does auto-brightness do exactly? And is it worth turning off to conserve battery?
-Any other recommendations how to improve my battery life that I may have missed?

Thank you so much for your help.. and I hope my detailed info was useful to some of you as well. For the record, I have a 16GB white iPhone 3G that I purchased on Friday (so its been charged 2-3 times fully already).

Look forward to hearing from you.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Sounds typical. My 3G had a full charge yesterday at noon and now it's showing 10% left. Mind you - I haven't been playing around on this for two days!! It's been on standby, some GPS, some calls (very light), some browsing, etc. I should do a stress test though and see how good (or bad ) the battery really is.

techguy1

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
London
Tried running the battery so low that the phone switches itself of and then doing a full recharge .. I believe after 3 full discharges / recharges, folks are noticing a better life usage in their batteries !?

PMart317

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2007
How do u turn 3g off? isnt that based on where u live? also wuts location services? thanks!

montecarloss919

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
so kind of good news (and hope?)

so i got the phone friday, and have had 3 full charges on it and this was my day today:

wake up 6:30, went to work all day:

-work was in a low service area, so it would go in and out of service
-no 3g/wifi/bluetooth on/
-no push/ fetch was on hourly
-used ipod an hr with airplane mode on
-several calls and at least 65 txts or so

so after 4 hr 44 min of use and 16 hrs 19 min of standby,

i still have about 40% battery...i mean thats not too bad right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.