Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CiscoGuru&aMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Just wanted to write this up so everyone clearly understands the new Apple/AT&T iPhone 3G "No Commitment" criteria.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN BUY AN IPHONE 3G FOR $599 OR $699 AND SIGN UP FOR A GO PHONE ACCOUNT (Or use an existing one, though we know this works). AT&T is STILL not providing official iPhone 3G compatibility for AT&T GO PHONE customers. So you won't be able to buy one, then sign up for a GO PHONE plan + unlimited 3G data.

This ONLY MEANS, you can setup a plan and cancel with no penalties. As speculated many times before, this is nothing more than Apple dumping their surplus of 3G's before the new iPhone comes out.

This sucks for people who have bad credit but make $$$, I'm one of them. I make a lot of money but am going through a bankruptcy. I am not paying AT&T's ridiculous deposit requirement to use my iPhone "Officially". I know, I know, "Why would you want to anyway?" Well, for one, using a 2G GO PHONE SIM in the 3G has rendered mixed results for me. I can stand in the same location and one minute hit the Internet, then the next I can't. I have tried replacing SIM cards, restores, etc. From what I hear, this isn't uncommon, at least on 2.2.

Anyway, O2 does it, why not now A** T*t and Tw*t? Losers.

Anyway, don't buy an unsubsidized 3G thinking it will be officially compatible and supported as a GO PHONE.

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
So...

According to your post, you now have the privilege of getting an unsubsidized ($$$$$$) iPhone, with no contract, but you must still qualify for said contract, and pick from plans available on that contract.......

Am I missing something here? :confused:

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
So...

According to your post, you now have the privilege of getting an unsubsidized ($$$$$$) iPhone, with no contract, but you must still qualify for said contract, and pick from plans available on that contract.......

Am I missing something here? :confused:

Remember, it's in AT&T's financial interests if you purchase a phone with a 2-year commitment. They want the 2-year commitment option to look more attractive than the no-commitment option.

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Remember, it's in AT&T's financial interests if you purchase a phone with a 2-year commitment. They want the 2-year commitment option to look more attractive than the no-commitment option.

Still I think something is missing. Otherwise the article about this the other day would have been titled, No Commitment Option: AT&T's Latest Scam Attempt.

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
I think what he's saying is you can buy it at the No-Commit price, but you must still have an iPhone contract, BUT it's not a 2 year, it's a rolling monthly contract...

right?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Still I think something is missing. Otherwise the article about this the other day would have been titled, No Commitment Option: AT&T's Latest Scam Attempt.

Of all the things AT&T does, saving me $400 on a phone for me agreeing to use it for 2 years is about the farthest from a scam that I can imagine.

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Of all the things AT&T does, saving me $400 on a phone for me agreeing to use it for 2 years is about the farthest from a scam that I can imagine.

?

No, you've misunderstood. The subsidy is not the "scam" here, its the lack of subsidy. By paying the No Commitment Price, you are paying for the phone, you're early termination fee up front, and then some. As already pointed out, you must still:
1. Qualify for a 2 year contract
2. Pick from the same horrible plan options as 2 year subscribers
3. Pay for the plan every month, if you want service.

^ That is a scam compared to a contract plan.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
I think what he's saying is you can buy it at the No-Commit price, but you must still have an iPhone contract, BUT it's not a 2 year, it's a rolling monthly contract...

right?

That's how I'd understand it.

Of course, AT&T is apparently only going to sell an iPhone at the no-commitment price if you are already an AT&T customer. That would leave you with the choice to either:
1) Activate it on your existing account, but switch over to an iPhone-eligible price plan. It wouldn't affect your future upgrade eligibility, nor would it extend your current contract's end date.
2) Give it to a friend, and they can activate it on a new account with an iPhone-eligible price plan, but with no multi-year commitment.

CiscoGuru&aMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007

right?

You are correct.

It's a stupid AT&T con job to appeal to the unlocking crowd (I love how their prices nearly mirror eBay iPhone auction closings). They figure we will penalize you (They are in advance as stated) up front, lock you to AT&T, still force you to pick a post paid plan (My heart burn) and dump more iPhones before iPhone Pro comes out.

AT&T can kiss my a$$.

It's not their fault I'm in a BK, however it is their fault for misleading people with con jobs like this, bastards.

CiscoGuru&aMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007

right?

?

No, you've misunderstood. The subsidy is not the "scam" here, its the lack of subsidy. By paying the No Commitment Price, you are paying for the phone, you're early termination fee up front, and then some. As already pointed out, you must still:
1. Qualify for a 2 year contract
2. Pick from the same horrible plan options as 2 year subscribers
3. Pay for the plan every month, if you want service.

^ That is a scam compared to a contract plan.

Bingo.

manorpark

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
London UK
Compare this to the above.

I wanted the new Iphone so did not want to get a contract just yet, so bought a 3g from a guy on another forum but now I needed a sim.

I phoned O2 here in the UK and explained the situation and the girl said "no problem I will send you an Iphone 3g sim", I asked if this would have the 1 year free data plan like their PAYG phones ?

She said it would not but she would call me in 7 days, giving me time to get the sim and activate it. She would then add the one years free data over the phone for nothing.

The only commitment from me is to top up £10.00 per month.

I was very pleased with their CS and well done O2.

MP

whitemacbook

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2009
Whenever I read posts/threads about american mobile phone contracts/prices I can relax my ass a bit and feel a bit less of a reaming than what I thought I was getting here.

Babybandit

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
It's not their fault I'm in a BK, however it is their fault for misleading people with con jobs like this, bastards.

It isn't really misleading - you just haven't read all the terms and condition and all the small little writing.

Example : Hong Kong (Even before the Unlocked phones being sold at Apple Onling Store)'s carrier - said we're getting Unlocked Phones. But that doesn't mean we are allowed to walk off without a plan.

This option is for those whom want just a data plan, or a voice plan - and would come out cheaper than their junk of a plan.

If you want other carriers - Apple Store is where you go.

When AT&T said unlocked, they didn't say "Oh, you can buy it without a AT&T Plan", we just had a misconception because of "Unlocked". Same for Hong Kong

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
It isn't really misleading - you just haven't read all the terms and condition and all the small little writing.

Example : Hong Kong (Even before the Unlocked phones being sold at Apple Onling Store)'s carrier - said we're getting Unlocked Phones. But that doesn't mean we are allowed to walk off without a plan.

This option is for those whom want just a data plan, or a voice plan - and would come out cheaper than their junk of a plan.

When AT&T said unlocked, they didn't say "Oh, you can buy it without a AT&T Plan", we just had a misconception because of "Unlocked". Same for Hong Kong
AT&T never said it was "unlocked". That was just some misinformed people who mistakenly thought that the terms "no commitment" and "unlocked" were interchangable. They are not.

"No commitment" means that you don't have to commit to locking into a new contract for a minimum of 2 years. "Unlocked" means that it is possible to use the phone with a carrier other than AT&T without hacking it. The phone is being offered in select circumstances on "no commitment" terms. It is not being offered "unlocked".

And it does mean that if you buy it, you can walk off without activating it on a plan. (But in that case, you'll be the proud owner of a paperweight, unless you hack it.)

If you ever do want to put it on a plan, it'll have to be one of AT&T's approved iPhone plans. However, you will be able to exit the plan at any time with no penalty.

CiscoGuru&aMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007

Respectfully,

I think you're confused concerning my original point.

As the poster above states quite accurately, "Unlocked" and "No Commitment" mean two very different things.

The misleading element, and the STUPID element, is that you STILL can't officially use the iPhone 3G as a PAYG phone. Yes I can pop my 2G PAYG SIM in and it works fine, but that's not my point from a support and legal perspective. AT&T have always sucked a$$ when it came to celluar plans and nothing has changed.

People are buying the phone right and left believing they can OFFICIALLY use it as a PAYG phone just like O2 and are getting rude awakenings.

It's simple stupidity. Not everyone has great credit, just like not everyone who has bad credit is a scrub. Mine's from a nasty divorce and I make plenty of money.

AT&T sucks a$$, plain and simple. Worst partnership Apple has ever made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.