iPhone 3G no data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by VijayK, Oct 31, 2011.

1. VijayK macrumors newbie

My IPhone 3G just came off contract and I would like to pass it on to a family member. ATT says that it has to be on data plan if it is a smart phone.
    Is there any way around this such as unlocking. We are on a family plan.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No way around it.
    Unlocking has nothing to do with it unless you want to go to Tmobile. They do allow the iphone with no data plan on their network. AT&T does not or you can go with a prepaid AT&T sim. That's another option that wont need an iphone data.
    But if you're on postpaid monthly plan their system will detect it and add a data plan automaticly to your account.
    You can pick the $25 2GB or $15 200MB plan.

3. VijayK thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thanks for the info. That really sucks ATT.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Not to defend AT&T, but this is "common" in that the same is true on Verizon. Any smartphone must have a data plan.

5. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

There is a way around it, if your family member already has a phone, pop that sim out and put it into your iPhone.

You don't have to have a data plan, just don't tell them you're using an iPhone.

6. toiday macrumors regular

That's not true. You can do it for a few months then you will get a text from them saying you need to have data plan. That's what happen to me and I have to jump to t-mobile. Yes, their service is not as good as the others but I value my freedom. A phone company shouldn't be able to force the customer to use data plan if they don't want to. Not in the America!

7. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Interesting, I did it for a while. (turned data off on the phone), and never got a text. maybe it was less than 3 months...don't remember. Sucks.

8. VijayK thread starter macrumors newbie

Both the AT&T store and the 611 line said that after a few hours/ days you will get a text signing you up for the $25 data plan.

9. corbin_a2 macrumors regular

I gave my old iPhone 3G to my sister who had a "non-smart" phone with AT&T. Put her old SIM in the iPhone and it works fine for her. She has been using it for the past 6 months with no problems. No cellular data. She just uses wi-fi for data.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sometimes it lasts a while before they catch on. Other times within
    Days.

11. forcetactic macrumors 6502

To OP, have data blocked, turn off settings in iPhone, and pop your sim in and give it a go.

I know for sure they won't catch iPhone 2g and since there have been many newer generations of iPhone with the release of 4S, I'm curious to see if they still will bother catching 3g.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They will not bother with the 2G and they will even remove the data plan for you if you call.
    Its not classified the same way on their system as the rest of the "smartphones" with a mandatory data that's why.
    On the 3G you can bet they will add the data once their system detects it.