iPhone 3g, NO RECEPTION only 3g plus more...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blueflame, Jul 11, 2008.

1. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

Ok, so i take the new iphone 3g home, and i have like, 1 bar or 2 sometimes. then I decide to try a few things out so I turn off 3g, low and behold, immediately, reception is at full.

i turn 3g back on, bam... down to 1 bar.

So, whats the deal? my call quality even sounds fine on 3g, but it shows nearly now reception. I hope someone has n idea
    :)

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

This is how 3G works. That is your 3G signal. Even if you don't have any bars, you are still connected to 3G. Once you aren't in 3G, it will divert back to EDGE, but you can still make calls when you only have 1 bar, and they sound perfect.

3. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

really?, So, it is AT&T intention to give 0 information on how strong your signal is? or are you saying that when on 3g there is no such thing as signal, its either off or on?

if so, it seems kind of convoluted to even show bars at all.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well that's how i've been using my iPhone. I can use it and make calls on 3G when i have no bars. Now if i was to get out of a 3G area, it will divert to EDGE automatically. That's what im saying.

5. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

Is that's right ha?

6. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

so we have a disagreement?

Do you think this is a temporary AT&T problem, or a Bring the iphone back problem?

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

At least that is how i thought it was working. I mean, it makes sense.

8. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

New issue from 3G iphone. Just wait for a few days and we will see.

9. mmaguire macrumors newbie

I've experienced the same thing today

I upgraded from a 3 yr old Sony Ericson that has ALWAYS had great reception. Today I was driving to work on I-5 around Tacoma,Wa (ATT map says full 3G coverage for miles around) after activating my phone and my call was dropped. I had no bars on 3G. Then a few seconds later I had full strength again. On the way home I watched the bars go from full to none every 1/2 mile or so. It was like driving through a mine field of limited coverage. I love the functionality of the device, but if it doesn't get better then I will return it and go back to my old phone. Afterall, that is the main purpose of the iPhone - making calls. I noticed some complaints from users of the original phone that their signal coverage seems to have been decreased with the upgrade to the 2.o software. I'm wondering if we aren't all going t be afflicted by v2.0 since the 3G same with it preinstalled.

10. ocean55 macrumors newbie

3G on means no bars for you

I have ran into the case where there were time when I had 3G on and had no bars, but was still able to make phone call, where the sound was clear, and there were no break-ups in the middle of a conversation. But there were times that when I had 3G on, and like always, no bars, and was unable to make phone calls. Immediately it would say call failed. Only until when I turned off 3G, my bars will display as full signal, and then I was able to make a phone call. Can it be fixed? When will it be fixed? This is complete BS.