Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgpg89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Belgium
My mom recently upgraded to a white iPhone 4, so she gave her old iPhone 3G to my girlfriend. As I was setting it up for her, I noticed this:

iPhone_3G_-_No_WiFi.PNG

Asked my mom about it and she told me this problem she has had this problem from the very start.

Now I've googled this issue, did everything there is to try: reset network settings / general soft reset / general hard reset ... none of which worked.

Do any of you got any other suggestions which may fix the problem?

(and on a sidenote: if the WiFI antenna is broken, how much would it cost to repair it?)

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
Try doing a full restore (be warned: backup before, as this will delete all of your data): open iTunes, plug in your iPhone, click on the iPhone 'tab', right click -> backup (left hand side), then click restore. This will put it back to how it was when you got it, apart from a newer OS - this includes deleting all of your personal data (make sure you back up / sync before your do this) and resetting all of your settings. Then test the WiFi, and see if it works.

If this doesn't work, then I'm afraid you'll have to go to the Apple store and see what they can do - I'm assuming it's out of warranty, so you'll probably have to pay.

mgpg89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Belgium
Try doing a full restore (be warned: backup before, as this will delete all of your data): open iTunes, plug in your iPhone, click on the iPhone 'tab', right click -> backup (left hand side), then click restore. This will put it back to how it was when you got it, apart from a newer OS - this includes deleting all of your personal data (make sure you back up / sync before your do this) and resetting all of your settings. Then test the WiFi, and see if it works.

If this doesn't work, then I'm afraid you'll have to go to the Apple store and see what they can do - I'm assuming it's out of warranty, so you'll probably have to pay.

Already tried that, so I assume taking it to the store is my only option?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.