iPhone 3G not booting up

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by qawes, Sep 9, 2010.

1. qawes macrumors regular

qawes

Hey, I was just going through my address book and suddenly a backlighted dark gray fullscreen appeared and the phone started to reboot, but never succesfully booted. It gets stuck at the apple logo, then the spinning loading circle, and sometimes they are shown overlaid. I've been running 3.0 since some time now, and since i'm not very keen at jailbreaking/unlocking I never really bothered to update it. I read that i should restore and update it to the latest software (4.1) but the phone is locked and I can't afford to wait for the unlock, this being my only phone..
    I want to update it to 3.1.3, could anyone explain how can I do this, because through iTunes I can update only to the latest software. And also point me in the right direction for a simple restoring guide, thank you!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. qawes thread starter macrumors regular

qawes

That tutorial is perfect, tyvm!
    Sorry for my noobish questions, but do I need the original network sim in which the phone is locked in order to unlock it?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, but if u have the sim leave it in there so it activates officially after u restore so u don't have any push probs.

5. qawes thread starter macrumors regular

qawes

After updaing to 3.1.2, I wasn't able to activate it until I got a sim that got me pass the emergency call screen (it's not the original sim of the network in which the phone is locked) and after that tried to unlock it using blacksn0w. Problem is that after installing it, and I switch the sim, the phone isn't unlocked and I still can't get pass the emergency call screen without entering that special sim (it's called a 'one' sim). How can i get pass that annoying emergency call screen? Thanks!

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Remove blacksnow.
    Then install ultrasnow from cydia.
    That's it, u should be unlocked.

7. qawes thread starter macrumors regular

qawes

Tried that several times, but no result.
    I upgraded to 3.1.3, jailbreaked and unlocked with Pwnage Tool, but now when I insert my carrier's sim i don't have a carrier menu in the setting panel. What do to dow?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can't unlock with pwnage tool. That's only for jb.
    Restore and jb again and install ultrasnow after a clean restore. It does work. Make sure the sim is valid. What does it show on the top left where the carrier is? No sim? No service?

9. qawes thread starter macrumors regular

qawes

I finally managed to unlock it, I first jaibreaked it with Pwnage Tool and unlocked it with ultrasnow. I got confused because it was a 'activate phone' option in Pwnage Tool, but it's all good now. Thank you very much for your help. Cheers!

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh, I see.
    That activate option is what screwed it up at first I think.
    Congrats bro:D