iPhone 3G Not Charging and Overheating

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by donm3ga, Mar 3, 2010.

1. donm3ga macrumors member

Hey all,

A couple of times I have been on long 3G phone calls, I'd say 2-3hrs, and my phone would get hot and would not charge even though it is plugged in. I know that Apple has came out and said that if your phone detects high temperatures then the phone could possibly not charge. That makes sense. But my issue is that I am not doing anything other than being on a long phone call over 3G. I even lock the phone so the screen stays off no matter what to help with the heating problem.

Is anyone else out there experiencing this while on a long 3G phone call? Also, are there any other tips to prevent your iPhone from overheating other than the general tips that Apple has given us?

Thanks.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Describe the overheating. Are we talking too hot to handle? Warm? Hot sweat (inside joke....couldn't resist :)).

Anyway too hot is not normal. You may need a new battery.

3. Love macrumors 68000

Love

I agree - probably some fault in the main board or in the battery, best to call AppleCare.

4. donm3ga thread starter macrumors member

Not too hot to handle, but very very hot...not just warm.

This doesnt happen all the time but it does happen from time to time. Would they have to recreate the heating? In the mean time what would I use as a phone?

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, you're out of warranty, so it doesn't really matter that they recreate the heating. It's really your choice. If you want it fixed, you can pay $79 and get a new battery. If you were in warranty, they'd give you a new phone right there. Anyway, I'm not sure if they can just give you a refurb, so you don't need to wait for it to be replaced. Most people on here are talking about water damage, which automatically puts one out of warranty and gets you a refurb for $199.