iPhone 3G not charging help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TOwens8one, Apr 19, 2009.

1. TOwens8one macrumors newbie

I received a new or most likely refurbished phone from Apple on Friday after a speaker malfunction. This new one has horrible battery life. It will be fully charged in the morning and after 3-4 hours be dead. Last night I charged it through my computer since my charger is back home to around 60-70% and shut it off. I turn it on the morning and the battery is fully drained and wont let me charge.
    It shows the red battery with a lightning bolt and sometimes when i turn it on it shows the apple logo(its jailbroken and i changed the boot logo) then just shuts off, I'll have it connected for hours but the same red battery appears and if i dissconnect it, the phone immediately shuts all down. Any help? I tried holding power/home buttons and also puting it in DFU mode and doing a restore but it fails after a min in to it. Thanks

2. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Looks like you need that one replaced too. I don't think the Apple store can help you much, considering its jailbroke now?

3. TOwens8one thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, I'm not sure what to do now. I just plugged it into the wall outlet and the same thing is occurring.

4. Untaken macrumors member

This happened to my first iPhone and as it wouldn't sync either I had to get it replaced. Luckily I was able to use Cydia and SSH to remove most signs of jailbreaking, but that was with the default boot logo. I hate to say it but if your battery is dead already and you have a custom boot logo you may be screwed. When Apple turns it on and sees that it's Game Over. :(

5. wfiphone macrumors member

Can't you just un-jailbreak it?

This is why I doubt I'd ever jail break mine

6. Untaken macrumors member

"Un-jailbreaking" as you call it basically means restoring through iTunes, and if the phone won't charge then chances are it won't sync which means restoring it is out of the question.

7. TOwens8one thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Untaken macrumors member

Those connect through the docking port and the phone will behave just as if you were to plug the phone into a USB port or electrical outlet to charge. So no, it wouldn't work. :(

9. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Are you sure this is correct? I've always been lead to believe that these backups use their own battery first and only switch over to the iPhone battery when theirs is exhausted.

10. ptsube macrumors 6502

Why not try to restore it, then take it in to Apple? If they refuse it, your no worse off. If they do refuse it, try a new battery. Read "note 2" under the battery page. They will send you the battery and you can do it yourself.

11. ptsube macrumors 6502

Another thought, it could be the fact that you jailbroke it that is causing the drain problems. Maybe a program isn't written very well. If you restore it, it may fix the battery drain problem.

12. Untaken macrumors member

It doesn't matter, if there's a problem with the docking port which causes the phone to not charge or sync, the backup battery will not work either as it uses the same port. I guess if the backup battery used a different set of pins altogether from those of the normal USB cable and the problem is with one of those pins specifically then it MIGHT work, but buying one just to test this theory is likely to be a complete waste of money.

13. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I wonder if the OP's local store would let him try one out prior to possible purchase? :)

14. TOwens8one thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, I am unable to restore. itunes won't recognize the iphone at all unless I put it under dfu mode, but when I try o restore it fails a minute into the process. I'm going to see if I can get the emergency battery and if it doesn't work, hopefully I can return it. Thanks for the help fellas.