Iphone 3g not receiving SMS from other Carriers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by billy3785, Sep 3, 2008.

1. billy3785 macrumors regular

billy3785

I bought my iphone on August 1. I was so excited to get it. I decided that I wanted a new number to match the area code of the new state I was living in.

I sent out a text message to my friends telling them about my new number. About a week later I was noticing that I wasnt getting many text messages. I just assumed that some people hadnt updated their phones with my new number.

Then another week went by and I was starting to get phone calls from my friends asking why I hadnt responded to their text messages. I was finally able to deduce through certain tests that I was not receiving ANY text messages from other carriers.

I contacted AT&T and they told me to make sure my software was upto date, which it is. and to power cycle the phone at least every 12 hours for 4 days, which I did. It still hasnt corrected the problem. AT&T says that its not their fault, but rather the fault of ALL the other carriers. They dont really offer much assistance.

Any advice??

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Call at&t again, as it is definately their fault, since other people can you it just fine.

TEG

3. CheesePuff macrumors 6502

I've been having the same problem for weeks now when I ported my number from Verizon. If you go on AT&T's web site there is a 20 page forum thread on this issue and it has yet to be resolved yet.

4. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Carriers contract inter-carrier text message routing througho a third party company and sometimes the company is not properly notified of a number change (Happens mainly with ports).

As TEG stated call back and have them open a trouble ticket for you.

5. billy3785 thread starter macrumors regular

billy3785

they told me about this over the phone, and I've read this on AT&T's forum before, but the difference is, I am a NEW at&t customer... I will call them again though

6. milani macrumors 68000

milani

7. billy3785 thread starter macrumors regular

billy3785

I was on the phone with a girl from AT&T for about 2 hours this afternoon. No help really in the end. I'm pretty stuck here