Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

121500-bestbuy.jpg

As of yesterday, Best Buy is offering the iPhone 3G at Best Buy Mobile stores.

While the launch is lacking the fanfare of the original AT&T and Apple iPhone 3G launch, we've heard reports that Best Buy had extra staff in some locations in anticipation of heightened store traffic.

Best Buy's distribution of the iPhone 3G had been rumored. Still outstanding from the original rumor published by The Boy Genius Report is whether Radio Shack will distribute the phone.

Article Link

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
So do they activate it in-store just like at the ATT and Apple stores?

Edit: Nevermind, I was confused by Best Buy Mobile. I'd never heard of that before. No Best Buys within three hours of where I am. I guess this should help them hit 10 million iPhones sold a little quicker.

Comment

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I'm glad, if only that there will be less traffic in Apple stores when the new products on the 9th are released.

Comment

pacohaas

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
So do they activate it in-store just like at the ATT and Apple stores?

Yes to which, just like AT&T or just like Apple stores? I was turned away at an Apple store last month when they said they couldn't activate my line because I had a discount on it, but that AT&T could do it so I should just go to an AT&T store. They said AT&T had a different activation system than what was available at the Apple Stores, so I wonder which one Best Buy got...

Comment

iMACTASTIC

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
CAUTION!!!

If you buy anything from Best Buy you better know what you are talking about because the idiots that work there have no clue about a thing they are selling. Best Buy is a crap store that doesnt mind ripping you off. With zero customer support.

Comment

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Best Buy "Mobile" stores. According to BestBuy.com, these stores are only found in three states.

Comment

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
hopefully Best Buy has a much better activation system than the garbage the Apple Store has. Either way they are all going to be tied to AT&T's servers, so most people may still be better off going to AT&T to activate their iPhones.

And after about two so months with the iPhone 3G, and all the reported defects and flaws, I doubt there will be any more rushes to grab an iPhone. Apple may hit 10 million world wide, but America is pretty much done with the rush.

Agreed about BB and AT&T not know squat about the iPhone. Most likely they will send you to an Apple store after activation to get all your questions and concerns answered... and to buy that surprisingly worthless Apple Care for the iPhone. I was in line at a Genius Bar and there was far more iPhone users there than CPUs.

Comment

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
CAUTION!!!

If you buy anything from Best Buy you better know what you are talking about because the idiots that work there have no clue about a thing they are selling. Best Buy is a crap store that doesnt mind ripping you off. With zero customer support.

exactly! i've never had anyone that wasn't a prepubescent oily faced, voice cracking teenager "helping" me out. never have i ever been satisfied with anything best buy.

Comment

curbyourdesign

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2008
at&t rates different?

I was in Best Buy yesterday checking out the iPhone and the rates seemed off. The lowest plan they advertised for the FamilyTalk was the 700 plan, the 550 plan was no where to be found. However, when you go to an at&t store or online it shows the 550 plan. Let me know if anyone has come across the same plans at best buy.

Comment

cgtyoder

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Fresno
stock price

Why is AAPL tanking today? Down 7 points, 5% right now. Seems like the BB thing should be helping.

Maybe the analysts had bad weekends or something.

Comment

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
Why not just wait for the new 2.1 update?
Jesus, this iPhone 3G is all about money.
Consumers are getting f*cked in the arse by Apple on this one.
And can AT&T really handle EVEN MORE people on their networK???

Comment

MacBass

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
La Crosse, WI
Granted, despite having to deal with the incredibly "helpful" employees at Best Buy stores, it's nice to see that the iPhone is available where there isn't necessarily an AT&T store nearby.

I still won't get an iPhone until the price for the plan drops significantly enough for me to be able to afford it, because after all, it is just a phone with some extra gadgets, and my current phone is working out pretty well for me.

Comment

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I live right across from a Best Buy Mobile here in NYC... They've been advertising the hell out of having the iPhone 3G with like signs in the streets and stuff.... but I didn't see people in there today lol.

Comment

franzmueller

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
Spain
Great , now you can get a phone in almost every corner in the US while here in Spain I´m still waiting to get one ... I was nr. 80 on the waiting list in my local shop back then in July 11th ... last week I was told 40 iphones have been handed out which makes an average or 20 stupid phones per MONTH .

Like things move around I may be lucky to get mine sometime in October

YEah.... way to go Apple :mad:

This is just plain ridiculous

Saludos

Comment

TalkAboutApple

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
Radio Shack would be a much better fit. They've been selling cellular since it was a rocket science in the 80's, and for the most part the salespeople are quite knowlegeable.

Comment

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Why is AAPL tanking today? Down 7 points, 5% right now. Seems like the BB thing should be helping.

Maybe the analysts had bad weekends or something.

Apple's just not making amazing moves in the industry right now.

Maybe after Tuesday, but I have a feeling the stock may stay the same for a good while until Apple does some breakthrough stuff.

Comment

eyephone

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
I miss compUSA.

At the apple "booth" in the compusa stores, there was a dedicated apple sales person at all times, answering questions, and wearing all apple clothing, etc. It was very professional.

In New Orelans now that the compusa is closed, the BestBuy is the only resource for apple. The store has a nice kiosk set up for apple displaying their most popular consumer products, but no one sales person is stationed. This makes for a real head ache when asking questions, as most BB sales people avoid the apple kiosk, and stay around the HPGATEWAYCOMPAQDELL computers because there are only limited questions that these potential buyers may ask. I.E. "where does the cd's go?"

I am wondering if the Apple Kiosk in BB will house the iPhone, or if the bland cell counter will be diluted for once.

This all makes me feel like as Apple gets a larger fanbase, their products may become too mainstream and once apple sees that they can sell a cheaper more bland product in retail stores.......... well you know how this rant ends.

Comment

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Best Buy "Mobile" stores. According to BestBuy.com, these stores are only found in three states.

It's 900+ stores... there's Best Buy Mobile "Stores" (as in brick and mortar stores only selling mobile in the three states), and then "Best Buy Mobile" which is a department branding in a store... like the Apple Store At Best Buy which is just a little section in the computer section. See "where to buy" at http://www.apple.com/iphone/buy/ for confirmation.

Comment

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
I miss compUSA.

That is the first time I have read that. I guess all stores were different, but my local CompUSA was awful. Employees scattered like bugs whenever a customer came in and if you could find one, they were about as helpful as a Wal-Mart employee - not at all.

I was at BB yesterday when they launched the iPhone, and by 3PM they had sold 2 - TWO! - iPhones and had over 50 left. I guess the people who really wanted one already have it and the stock levels are good nationally.

My local BB has an Apple store in it, so they are extremely helpful.

Comment

walala

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
I've asked this before, but...

Can you buy the iPhone at Best Buy with Best Buy gift cards? Because I have a few cards there worth about $100

Comment

frankfurter

Sep 18, 2001
Radio Shack?

You're kidding, right? I didn't know Radio Shack was even still around (and I'm in an American city with 500K people....).

I guess I quit going there when it became like a flea market trying to pay them for something.

Me: I just need these batteries here.
RS: Ok! Need a warranty?
Me: No.
RS: How about a phone card?
RS: Cell phone service is half off for 4 weeks and .....
RS: Phone number?
Me: (makes up 7 random numbers)
RS: Address?
Me: (again, my address with the wrong house number)
RS: Anything else?

Anyway, Radio Shack was (is?) almost comical. It was so painful to buy from them, that even if I needed some electronic whatever, I'd wait and order online. I question Apple's reasoning on this.

Comment

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Best Buy isn't that bad. The often label electronics wrong so a specific item can be a lot cheaper than it's supposed to be. And my mail-in-rebate-check only took 6 months to arrive.

I ... molested a 3G iPhone today. The plastic back feels very veird and cheap compared to my EDGE iPhone. And the chrome Apple on the black plastic looks a bit tacky IMO.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.