iPhone 3G, now running iOS 4, having time issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jshgambit, Jun 23, 2010.

1. jshgambit macrumors newbie

Okay...So after trying to upgrade on iOS 4 Launch Day this week and failing miserably because I own a 3G, I was finally able to complete the upgrade last night.

Couple of things...

First...The Back-Up failed after about an hour.

Second...After another hour, my 3G was restored with the new iOS 4.

Third...Spent time playing with it, meaning I put apps into folders, since 3G's don't get the cool multi-tasking feature, background wallpaper, and I'm not paying extra for tethering. Anyway...All in all...Things seemed to be working correctly.

I use my iPhone as my alarm clock and have never had a problem that didn't involve operator error, until this morning.

My alarm went off. Got up...Did my thing. Eventually I saw another clock and realized that the time on my iPhone was an hour behind!

I checked the settings and my Time/Date is...or was...set up for automatically update, but I have since switched that off to set it up manually, which has seemed to correct the issue.

Couple of things...

First...Has anyone experienced something like this? Is this just an isolated incident?

Second...Anyone else with a 3G notice a difference in signal quality. Multiple times last night my 3G was "Searching..." for a signal in a place that I've never encountered issues before. I thought this might have contributed to the error, but I wasn't sure.

I know this is a lot, but I thought I would share as much as possible to try and help others.

Thanks for any thoughts or solutions!
    Thanks

2. starwarsfreak80 macrumors newbie

Same Issue with Clock

Hi, I have an iPod Touch 2G running iOS 4, and I have been having the same problem with the clock. It seems that every so often the clock is set 4 hours earlier.

I am unsure how to stop it from automatically setting the time, how did you do it? It will save me the pain of constantly going to options to correct the time.

Also, I have noticed that when the iPod finds it location, like in Google Maps or another App that finds location, it will automatically change the time. I dont think this is true for 100% of the time, but I have noticed this.

Hope this helps and thanks in advance.

3. cognisense macrumors newbie

ios4 time bug

I too have an iPTouch 2G - exhibiting bizarre time problems (and other bugs).

After many, many hours investigating this problem and trying different tacks to resolve it, have discovered that a FULL restore can keep the bug from surfacing.

Simple case to display the bug:

a) set to correct time using Settings -> General -> Date and Time
    b) hold power button until you see "Slide to power off"
    c) turn ipod off
    d) turn ipod back on
    e) notice that the time is earlier than you last set it

There are a number of apps which execute the bug, too. Try this:

a) set to correct time using Settings -> General -> Date and Time
    b) return to Home screen
    c) launch Settings app
    d) select General
    e) notice that the time is earlier than you last set it

There are other apps, too.

As a result of this bug, plus several others that I have seen and can re-create with all-too-much consistency, I have decided to downgrade my ipod to 3.1.3 - the last known good OS.

Unfortunately, downgrading my ipod is impossible - because Apple no longer authorizes any OS other than ios4. The few threads that discuss this issue all refer to an SHSH blob that would have been created had I attempted to jail break my ipod prior to the disastrous ios4 upgrade. Since I had never attempted to jail break my device, I'm stuck with ios4.

My device is not only buggy, but several apps no longer work and the device is now much more sluggish -- all as a result of upgrading to ios4.

THE SOLUTION:

a) open iTunes, connect device, turn off device
    b) put device into DFU mode (which now has a 2nd meaning to me - similar to SNAFU)
    c) Restore ios4
    d) Do NOT back up your device - you can always do that later
    e) using either method above - check to see if the bug is gone
    f) if the bug exists, repeat all of this. If the bug is gone, then you can apply your backup

I stumbled upon this 'solution' over the course of a week as I working to get all of my apps functioning again. They had been rock-solid prior to the upgrade, and it took many hours to get the device back to an acceptable state of stability.

My device's performance is still far more sluggish than before the upgrade, but at least 90% of my apps now work as they had done.

Best of luck to you...

4. adulti macrumors newbie

same problem

i have the same problem. Restore costs time, is there any other solution? I'd better not to upgrade at all!

5. jshgambit thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I may try the restore solution, at least to see what happens.

I've perused the forum, but haven't found another thread related to sketchy signal reception for the 3G after an upgrade. Anyone out there have a solution for that?

I had a friend stop into the AT&T store and they swapped out his SIM card. He said it's made an improvement, but how legit is this solution?

Recommendations? Should I just downgrade?

6. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

I have a white 16GB 3G. I've upgraded to both 4.0 and 4.0.1. I've had no signal issues and have not witnessed any time issues either. I have mine set up for automatic time and it seems to be getting the time just fine from the towers.

I also have alarms set for different times during the week and they have all gone off just fine. I would try the restore as you mention in your last post, as the behavior is not normal.

Make sure there is no problem with the time zone settings on the phone. That would be the only thing that I could think of that could explain an hour difference.