iPhone 3G now showing gray 'No Wi-Fi'

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tjhilder, Apr 14, 2010.

1. tjhilder macrumors regular

tjhilder

Hi folks,

sorry if this has been mentioned before but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

since yesterday my iPhone 3G (running O/S 3.1.3) has not been able to connect to wifi, instead it just has this grayed out 'No Wi-Fi'

I tried doing a hard reset but to no avail :(

any suggestions?

2. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

do a restore to see if that works. If not a gray wifi icon normally means part of the wifi part in your phone is dead and will have to be replaced.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, also try to toggle airplane mode on and off to see if it fires up.
    And if all else fails try the freezer trick.

4. stezza333 macrumors regular

Yep. My brothers 3G had to be replaced and he was told by Apple that this is a 'known issue'. Restoring the iPhone did not fix his problem and Apple replaced the phone then and there.

5. tjhilder thread starter macrumors regular

tjhilder

ok so i did a restore and it didn't repair anything, how do I go about getting it fixed? I'm with o2.

can I contact apple and send it off to them?

my warrenty has expired though, but I do have phone insurance with o2

6. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Go to O2 and show them the problem tell them you have insurance and show the necessary reciepts they should send it off to their repair company. You will most likely get a refurbished iPhone back.

7. tjhilder thread starter macrumors regular

tjhilder

I'm having a hard time figuring out if I got a reciept for it as it was an upgrade, I do however have the paperwork that came with the iPhone

I've e-mailed o2 so hopefully they'll be able to sort something out.

8. tjhilder thread starter macrumors regular

tjhilder

Ok so an update on my iPhone problem...

well I e-mailed o2, who sent me a message back:
    so after reading this I phoned o2, they admitted it wasn't my fault that the insurance wasn't the right one, then basicly said after admitting this, that my problem is software related and will not be covered by the insurance.

although he said himself that it wasn't software related :rolleyes: and said I should contact apple (who state on their site that if it is not under warrenty any more, won't do anything about it etc)

o2 did however offer me an early upgrade, which I decided to do anyway since my plan was (before this) to unlock my phone, sell it on ebay and then buy a 3G S, then when my contract ran out in September, get a simplicity sim.

but now, what do I do? can I force o2 to repair my iphone? or do apple do it? or what? because it's a lot of money for insurance, phone, etc for it to stop working properly after only just over a year!!