iPhone 3G on 2.2.1/Unlocked - what are my current options?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ninethirty, Apr 13, 2010.

1. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Hey Guys.

Short story - I moved to Holland from Chicago a year ago, brought my 3G with me, which I sold to a friend and unlocked for her on OS 2.2.1. She's not too concerned with updates, but I guess it's finally getting to her that she doesn't have 3.0 on the phone.

I have a few questions.

Can I update the phone safely at this point, jailbreak and unlock in any way at all, or no?

Will AT&T unlock the phone for me given that I'm no longer a customer, but I own the phone, and it's been a year. Anyone had any experience with this?

Much appreciated - thanks!

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Update the 3G to Official Apple Firmware 3.0 which will install baseband 4.26.xx. Use Pwnage Tool to make a custom restore 3.1.2 IPSW (saving the baseband at 4.26.xx) and use iTunes to install it. Use Option + Restore to browse to custom restore IPSW you made, DO NOt accidentally select 3.1.3 firmware. Finally, use Ultrasn0w to unlock. Make sure and tell her not to update to 3.1.3 in iTunes.

AT&T (US) does not unlock iPhones.

3. ninethirty thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can I upgrade to 3.0 though? Doesn't the Apple activation server only sign the most recent release?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can.
    Thats only for 3GS iphones.
    2G and 3G models can update or downgrade to any firmware without any probs.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

100% correct !